Fish you've had that eat clams?

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be our Regal, LOL. We watched in HORROR as she darted over and made a FEAST out of a very expensive Elegance coral. We pulled the coral out, but the damage was already done. Anyone that has ever been to our house knows our fish are all very well fed, LOL.

-M&T

If your Regal was like the wrasse and idol he was a model citizen then one day he got a taste for things other than prepared foods. He was in the tank for months, the wrasses even longer. Regals are nice and very expensive, congratulations for having one.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your Regal was like the wrasse and idol he was a model citizen then one day he got a taste for things other than prepared foods. He was in the tank for months, the wrasses even longer. Regals are nice and very expensive, congratulations for having one.

Yes, that's true. I also should mention that our Desjardini tang ripped a chunk of food out of the elegance coral causing damage and it was just too much for the Regal to resist. Anyway, after that episode, we decided we would not push our luck by tempting her with a clam. We'll probably add a small clam to our 30g nano though...

-M&T

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a Snowflake Eel swim right out in front of me and rip the gills out of this one...

jan086.jpg

Dog Boy Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish can learn to eat clams. They love them after they learn the trick. Even my cleaner wrass has learned to eat them. I feed clams in my tank and even my tangs would shred any clam that hit my water. If your fish dont eat clams it's only because they have never learned to do so. If you placed your non clam eating fish into a tank where the fish have learned to graze they would pick up on it right away.

Quinn123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a blue face, asfur, and regal angel. For the first two months everything was fine, and all of sudden they begin nipping at my clams, acans, brain coral, and lobo, so I had to move all my clams, and lps coral into a 90 gallons tank. They did not mess with my hammer, frogspawn, torch, or any of the Ricordia Yuma.

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner Wrasse picked at clams from the get go. I ended up selling the clam, because I could get more than what I paid for it, and my cleaner wrasse eats like a champ.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a few times to keep dwarf angels in my reef and they always picked at corals but only one flame angel picked at my clams. It didn't look like the clams were bothered by it though. They didn't even close up or flinch much. A local reefer had a yellow tang that picked at a huge squamosa all the time. Even after removing the fish it never opened back up and eventually died. I'm not sure if the tang was picking because the clam was unhealthy or the constant picking irritated the clam and made it unhealthy.

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potters angel and flame angel

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am convinced that my lemon peel dwarf angel killed my derasa. :(

Last edited:

Platehead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame killed my dereasa clam, The clam died in the end and kept the angel.

orlando809

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow tang that nip on a clam till the clam was really messed up and die i trade the tang at the lfs where i bought it from.
How i know the yellow tang did it? I saw him do it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back