OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for some fish pics, I picked up a beautiful Lamarck Angel and this little guy has been doing great and eating like a beast.

In the club pic lol

Female Mandarin

My Melanurus Wrasse burrowed in the sand(I took this shot from under the tank in the stand lol)

OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after letting the tank go on its own for two weeks. I have no phosphate readings on my Hanna Checker. I did a water change two weeks ago and within 6 days the phosphates were down from .04ppm to 0.00ppm in 6 days. I was shocked and could not believe that the chaeto had sucked up the phosphates that quick, I do not have any hair algae at all anywhere. I tested again this past sunday and it has been 2 weeks since the water change and still at 0.00 ppm phosphates. I have also been feeding the tank heavily every other day, I feed roggers, cyclopeeze, LRS frenzy, PE Mysis, flake food, reef chili, NLS microfeeder powder, and some other stuff. I load the tank with food and I get 0 phosphates lol. I run the lighting in the fuge with an LED flood light from Lowe's and run it for 16 hours a day. I also turn the chaeto over every other day. maybe that helps, but it seems to be working great for me. I may need to lower the light schedule as I do not want to starve the system on phosphates and lose coral coloration. I might run it opposite to the display, but I will leave it alone for now and see what happens. I guess my feeding habit also contributes to all the food being consumes instead of going into the filter sock. I turn off my main pump for 2-3 hours and I let the food circulate in the display so all the fish and corals consume most of the food. I'm sure very little goes into the filter socks and that way they do not become a nitrate/nutrient sink lol. so far my method is working very efficiently. Just wanted to share my success with everyone and hopefully it helps someone.

OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Its been quite awhile since I updated my thread and I do not have this tank up and running anymore. It is now a 75 gallon reef tank and it awesome! I think it is time to update this thread and possibly setup a new one but anyways here is a picture of how it is now and a video as well.

This is when I first setup the tank back in December

from little to big

LEDs mounted in canopy

I realized I have already updated the thread with these images but I will be posting new images and updates shots. The tank has settled in and taken off, coral growth has significantly increase now.

OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these picture mysteriously dissapeared from my photobucket, sorry!

Last edited:

Afishionado

Richard @ Afishionado Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pleasure Erwin. Let me know when it's up and running again. I would love to see the progression!

OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i've been away from here for awhile. Sadly, the 75 gallon has been torn down and sold. I decided to part ways with it for two reasons, for one the tank was not receiving the same attention it once got and two we will be moving soon. I decided to downsize to a smaller tank for the time being until we can get situated with things. I set up a 10 gallon Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion tank. I added my clownfish and a yellow watchman goby. The tank is nothing special for now but eventually it will get some nice equipment and corals. I'll try to keep my post more active with updates over time. thanks for those that follow.

OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some new artificial rock I will be replacing the aiptasia rocks I have in my new nano tank. These should look pretty sweet in the tank hopefully!

OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally put the rock in last week but i forgot to post it. i love the look of the tank now. Sorry for the unclear water, i had just removed the old rock and added the new one.

Here's My Lonely Clownfish, gonna get a bigger clown in the future since this one is a bully lol

Rock Anemone I've had since my last tank, it is a baby from an old nem I had.

Serpent Starfish I had that came as a hitchhiker on live rock, pretty sure this one was tiny and it has grown into this.

OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got around to build the macro algae / chaeto reactor. Let's see if this thing works and can reduce nutrient levels and hopefully help keep the water pristine! Its a Two Little Fishies Reactor with a Rio 800 water pump and Ebay LED waterproof flexible light strip. working good so far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I will share with this experience regarding the Rio 800 water pump, the pump was noisy when I adjusted the flow valve on the reactor. I knew it had something to do with the impeller since I switch the pump with a Tunze 1073.088 pump and it was silent. The impeller on the Tunze pump is a fixed blade impeller while the one on the Rio 800 is not fixed, the fins are able to move around under load when flow is resticted causing them to be noisy.

Rip 800 impeller

Rio 600 impeller

My solution to this problem was that The impellers are interchangeable, the rio 600 impeller fits into the rio 800 pump. only difference is the shaft is ceramic on the 800 and the 600 is metal. also the impeller blades themselves. i replaced the impeller and it is quiet now. no issues so far. hopefully this helps someone else and i'll let you guys know if there are any issues in the future with this.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the new scape! Cool idea on the impeller.

OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone, so after a long break I am back and started a 15 gallon tank the last year but I never updated my build thread. I got back into the hobby and made a Fluval flex 15 tank into a small saltwater tank. I put an AI Prime Light on it and an intank media basket for filtration. Got a tunze nano osmalotor and made a mini refugium in the center chamber with a tunze algae light. The tank was working good for the most part.

Attachments

• IMG_3027.jpeg
    IMG_3027.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3028.jpeg
    IMG_3028.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3029.jpeg
    IMG_3029.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3030.jpeg
    IMG_3030.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3031.jpeg
    IMG_3031.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
FishDooD65

FishDooD65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I then got a free aquarium from someone local. He was moving and I scored a RedSea Max 250 that was in great shape. It took me a couple of months to get it going and secure all the supplies needed but I got it done. I had a Jebao DCT 12000 laying around I bought for a future build, so this was it lol. I then bought a Jebao dcs 4000 for the recirculating on side. These 2 pumps run pretty quiet and also do not heat up the water. They have been solid so far.

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpeg
    IMG_3019.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3036.jpeg
    IMG_3036.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3043.jpeg
    IMG_3043.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 11

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 113 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 133 49.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 8.9%
Back