Fishless coral/invert cycle

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Randy Holmes-Farley

So I reset one of my qt tanks. New 40g gallon with external overflow, and 30g sump. Its been running for about 4-5 weeks. I had seeded it from my display. But a couple factors I think made it restart a cycle. So I dosed KZ ZeoBak and Zoe bio, one. Did one drop of each. With no fish, how often should I dose dr tims ammonia? And how often do I need to add any more KZ or Amonia.

Secondly, once it's cycled and settled down. With it being a fishless system only meant for coral/invert qt. What can I do to combat it being fishless and the bacteria.

Currently my display tank auto waterchanges from my display into that quarantine. Then from that quarantine to the drain. Does 4 gallons a day. So my mature system is at least feeding nutrients into that fishless system.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose ammonia to 2ppm let it fall. if it falls to 0 in a day then its cycled. 4 weeks with dirty water its prob all ready cycled. No need to add nutrients if its getting them form your other tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Secondly, once it's cycled and settled down. With it being a fishless system only meant for coral/invert qt. What can I do to combat it being fishless and the bacteria.

I’d just follow the standard Dr Tim’s directions, but the criteria seem lower so one need not send it as high if you don’t want.

I presume you intend to use foods of some sort?

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Tim's drew out my cycle months on a previous tank. Yes it's good sound science and yes it works. However, I'm fat, old, tired, and dang it I want it now. So I swear by the safe start crap by tetra. Toss the suggested amount in the tank. Ghost feed for like three days. Toss in a sacrifice, if it lives you good if it don't, add more fish food. 3-5 days cycled.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just follow the standard Dr Tim’s directions, but the criteria seem lower so one need not send it as high if you don’t want.

I presume you intend to use foods of some sort?
Will have inverts in qt. Going through there qt time frame. So yes periodically will feed into take for them

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back