Fishless Cycle Dosed too much ammonia on accident.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rpk98
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Rpk98

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2025
Messages
29
Reaction score
10
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I dosed too much ammonia on accident I already did a 30% water change and waited 24 hours and checked the ammonia again it's still high what should I do?

IMG_20250416_162525438.jpg
 
Hey guys I dosed too much ammonia on accident I already did a 30% water change and waited 24 hours and checked the ammonia again it's still high what should I do?

IMG_20250416_162525438.jpg
What is the ammonia concentration? While 2 ppm is the recommended maximum, I have seen 5 ppm work.
 
Upvote 0
I'm using red sea multi test kit marine care
What is the concentration, meaning, what level of ammonia are you seeing with your test kit? Something in ppm or mg/L.
 
Upvote 0
Ohh I'm seeing 5ppm ammonia
Like @Dan_P mentioned above, 5 ppm isn't terrible. You'll likely be fine just to wait this out, let the bacteria process the ammonia naturally.
 
Upvote 0
Like @Dan_P mentioned above, 5 ppm isn't terrible. You'll likely be fine just to wait this out, let the bacteria process the ammonia naturally.
Thank you so much I freaked out yesterday is adding more bacteria necessary I'm using fritz turbo?
 
Upvote 0
I don’t think you have anything to worry about. It’s fishless so there’s nothing to hurt. Nitrifying bacteria will break it down and convert it to nitrite and further bacteria will convert that to nitrate. It’s fine.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you so much I freaked out yesterday is adding more bacteria necessary I'm using fritz turbo?
I think you're fine, you've added bacteria already, and they will multiply in time. Adding extra bacteria won't hurt anything if it would make you feel better.
 
Upvote 0
Friend of mine accidentally dosed 25ppm worth of ammonia just recently (less than a week ago).

Given that it was a huge tank and doing a large water change was out of the question, and we’ve seen some signs of nitification - my advice to him was to just aerate the hell out of the tank and let it run its course.

It was the fastest, most aggressive cycling I’ve ever seen.

He’s now at 12 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia with a bit help from dosing Viniger.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new