Fishless Cycle in BRUTE trashcan - Questions

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

I am in the process of starting a new reef tank. It will be a 20g IM NUVO. However, i am in the process of moving so I have decided to get a jump-start on cycling my dry rock. I decided to use Dr. Tim's fishless cycle method by using his One and Only along with his Ammonium chloride. I am doing the cycling of my dry rock in a 32g BRUTE trashcan (brand new and cleaned). I made my saltwater using my 7 stage RODI and out the salinity at 1.025 and temp at 82F. I cured the dry rock (which was used in a previous reef tank 3 years ago but has been sitting in a box for more than a year) I cured it using bleach for a week to get rid of all dead biological material and any other living material and then cleaned it off and let it soak in a bucket of RODI with PRIME de-chlorinator for another week to make sure all of the bleach is eliminated.

So 3 days ago I put the rock (25lbs) in the BRUTE trashcan (not the same trashcan that I cured it in) filed it with the saltwater, added a heater and a small wavemaker for circulation. I then added the Dr. Tim's One and Only....waited 24 hours and then added the Ammonium Chloride. (4 drops per gallon). I then waited 24 hours and tested for Ammonia. It was SUPER HIGH. Using the API Ammonia test kit, the Ammoia showed at least 5ppm, but it is probably higher. I also tested Nitrites but it tested 0ppm. I then decided to add more One and Only and I also added some Seachem Microbacter7. 24 hours later the Ammonia levels are still very high and nitrites are zero. The water has a slight haze/cloudiness to it just in the past 24 hours.

Questions:
  • Why is the ammonia not going down? (or the nitrites not going up? Do I just need to be patient and wait longer...it has been 4 days?
  • Do I need to keep the powerhead/wavemaker on or should I turn it off?
Thank you so much for your help. I sincerely appreciate your wisdom and answers.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s all you need to do now: grind up a large pinch of flake food and add to cycling container of rocks and water

wait ten days, you’re cycled, doesn’t matter what your tests read those are the same tests everyone says are inaccurate - the tests you’re using. Simply do it off timing and fish food, no tests needed.

OP
OP
Joshua Jordan

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s all you need to do now: grind up a large pinch of flake food and add to cycling container of rocks and water

wait ten days, you’re cycled, doesn’t matter what your tests read those are the same tests everyone says are inaccurate - the tests you’re using. Simply do it off timing and fish food, no tests needed.
Should I leave the power head going? I’ve got it installed about half way down the container and it’s pointed sideways so as to create a spinning flow. Is this okay?

OP
OP
Joshua Jordan

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, I won’t be ready to put the rocks into the new tank until the end of November. Will I need to do a few water changes once the nitrates start going up and up?

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia is not going down probably because it was too high from dosing too much ammonia.
All you need to do is:
-Be patient
-Keep the powerhead on
-Do 1 water change after the cycle

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycles cannot be starved once set, so after ten days wait you’re cycled and nothing uncycles the rock if it stays wet until November

it doesn’t matter to the cycle one way or another if you add extra things or do water changes

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did not need the bacteria in a bottle since you don’t plan to use the rocks for months just wait

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back