Fishless cycle using Dr.Tims but I've got some issues.

Wasteoftime247

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am using Dr. Tim's one and only to do a fish-less cycle of my tank. I am on day 8 and my ammonia levels are crazy high. Like 8ppm. my Nitrates have slowly gone up but only to 1ppm. On roughly day 3 of the chart I had a bit of a disaster and ended up with a pretty big leak and ended up taking out probably 30% of the water. It essentially came down to doing a 30% water change unintentionally... That was not fun.. but its been fixed! I am wondering if I still need to just wait or get another bottle of Dr.Tim's or do another water change. I have also raised the temp up to between 80 and 84f as was suggested in a Bulk Reef Supply video I watched. What do you all think I should do?

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t remember for sure but can’t a really high ammonia level stall the process? I think the instructions say do water changes if it gets higher than 2 ppm. I could be wrong but double check that in the instructions.

OP
OP
Wasteoftime247

Wasteoftime247

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember for sure but can’t a really high ammonia level stall the process? I think the instructions say do water changes if it gets higher than 2 ppm. I could be wrong but double check that in the instructions.
I read the instructions because I have heard that as well. The only time I saw it mention doing a water change is if the PH gets lower than 7.

***Edit***
Your right I went to his website and it did say to do a water change if it goes above 5ppm. Weirdly enough it doesn't mention anything on the card that was sent with the kit.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 77.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.7%
Back