Fishless Cycle...

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I have an Algae scrubber, should I run it during the cycle? Or wait until after the cycle?

In theory, I thinkin running it during the cycle will help it get started and reduce/lessen those ugly's and allow the scrubber to get established and outcompete the display algae...

But...I also would do a lot of things in theory that either won't work or haven't worked.

Mebbid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. If you're stocking the tank slowly, it will give the algae scrubber plenty of time to establish itself before it's truly needed.

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I have an Algae scrubber, should I run it during the cycle? Or wait until after the cycle?

In theory, I thinkin running it during the cycle will help it get started and reduce/lessen those ugly's and allow the scrubber to get established and outcompete the display algae...

But...I also would do a lot of things in theory that either won't work or haven't worked.

Do not run the scrubber during the cycle. The algae will consume any ammonia and not allow the tank to cycle properly. It won’t affect anything to start it up once the tank has cycled properly.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Team

SM is correct

When you add water, your tank cycles in forty days with eight skimmers, or none, not that low level ammonia testing will agree consistently.

None of the cycle charts on google images ranges based on brand of bottle bac you add, or whether your nitrites hit high at one point, or if you skimmed, or if you purposefully farmed massive surface area in the form of a living green chia pet which catches and harbors and produces feed daily.

All google cycling charts are a month ish for a reason

We can't starve bac that are hydrated.

The microbiology of cycling thread says these three can reverse or undo a cycle:

Temp
Desiccation
Meds

Many challenges to a fourth have been posed, such as phosphate limitation. Or withholding of ammonia...
Still only three remain, make the case if we should adopt a fourth. Post the thread showing it in deficit as well.

Adding a scrubber boosts a cycle

its not working against a cycle, it's supporting it, making it faster to cover every niche in the tank with bacteria by farming microcommunities and early primary producers which chemically feed bacteria and vice versa.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back