OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think maybe there’s some aggression towards it? Or just not enough opportunity to feed?

I never saw any aggression, but I’m only eyes on fir maybe 2 hours a day, plus overnight they have plenty of opportunity to bully. I have 3 x 3” pvc elbows in the 10g so there are hiding spots available.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this sux

Dispar #2 going downhill

Plan is to get all 4 out and do a ruby reef rally dip, and hope they don’t all have something. Then back into copper + met

I just can’t do it this side of 4 pm, and I’m sure she ain’t going to make it that long

@HotRocks
@Humblefish

Last edited:

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a FW dip? Just guessing but maybe it’ll buy you some time until the pro’s can chime in? I thought I read that brook can cause heavy breathing

Edit:
After some more searching/ reading through google results, turns out flukes and brook can cause what you’re seeing. I’d try a 5 min FW dip

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this sux

Dispar #2 going downhill

Plan is to get all 4 out and do a ruby reef rally dip, and hope they don’t all have something. Then back into copper + met

I just can’t do it this side of 4 pm, and I’m sure she ain’t going to make it that long

@HotRocks
@Humblefish

Are you feeding metro or GC laced food as well Neil?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m prepping for an fw dip now. #2 didn’t make it.

I just did a 100% WC, redosed copper (brain fart) but think I should do GC or Prazipro instead

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ve taken 2 feedings with frozen mixed with GC, focus and selcon. I only started that yesterday. Looks like I missed the boat

I dosed met in water last night, for potential uronema

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brutal.

No evidence of flukes during dip.

Thin one passed about 60 seconds into dip.

Took the body out and put it on a dark lid with FW for 5 more mins- no flukes.

b0afb902ce4dbf402149c20eddc032a2.jpg

Last three made it to the new tank, where I was about to dose prazipro just in case I saw flukes. Salinity is matched, temp matched, hob and air stone.

10 seconds after they go in, the big one gets ‘lockjaw’ and is immediately dead. Other two immediately went under the pvc and are acting like #2 was this morning.
703444c22a36f968724fd1ef75c308eb.jpg

3f0676826c9cceddb82d769f2f4900b1.jpg

I am beyond sad right now

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brutal.

No evidence of flukes during dip.

Thin one passed about 60 seconds into dip.

Took the body out and put it on a dark lid with FW for 5 more mins- no flukes.

b0afb902ce4dbf402149c20eddc032a2.jpg

Last three made it to the new tank, where I was about to dose prazipro just in case I saw flukes. Salinity is matched, temp matched, hob and air stone.

10 seconds after they go in, the big one gets ‘lockjaw’ and is immediately dead. Other two immediately went under the pvc and are acting like #2 was this morning.
703444c22a36f968724fd1ef75c308eb.jpg

3f0676826c9cceddb82d769f2f4900b1.jpg

I am beyond sad right now
Sorry for your losses. :(

My guess was uronema internally. Very very common with anthias. Uronema is very virulent. The "dying with the mouth open" is a very strong indicator of Uronema being present.

Anthias (for whatever reason) are very succeptable to the parasite. I'd highly recommend starting them on at least metro soaked food and metro + copper dosed into water column the 1st day you get them.

Hopefully your remaining pair will be fine!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kyle, appreciate it.

If it is uronema, I’ll find it on necropsy. I’m going to put these guys on ice and store them until I drop coin on a ‘scope. Wasn’t planning on getting one soon, but there are nice ~$200 options that will be good for this sort of stuff.

So- expect these guys to succumb over next day or two? There are back in copper 1.75 ppm and metroplex abd I’ll feed them GC dosed food. But since uronema is so virulent its probably too advanced at this point given 3/5 already died, unless some individuals are resistant.

Uhh, man. [emoji17]

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kyle, appreciate it.

If it is uronema, I’ll find it on necropsy. I’m going to put these guys on ice and store them until I drop coin on a ‘scope. Wasn’t planning on getting one soon, but there are nice ~$200 options that will be good for this sort of stuff.

So- expect these guys to succumb over next day or two? There are back in copper 1.75 ppm and metroplex abd I’ll feed them GC dosed food. But since uronema is so virulent its probably too advanced at this point given 3/5 already died, unless some individuals are resistant.

Uhh, man. [emoji17]
Since they aren't symotomatic and you have been medicating for 24 hours they may be out of the woods. You will know soon enough. My fingers are crossed!

Several scope options south of $200, I agree!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do these guys make it through 2 weeks at the LFS and the transport chain? Crazy.

To top it all off, before this whole episode, I moved Toby my Randall’s goby up to the DT this morning. Where he promptly darted into a cave and disappeared. Haven’t seen him inn6 hours, so, yeah, if you can just not be dead in the morning, that would be great

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since they aren't symotomatic and you have been medicating for 24 hours they may be out of the woods. You will know soon enough. My fingers are crossed!

Several scope options south of $200, I agree!

I’ve seen the thread around here, but haven’t weighed in - no time- but I might go take another look. Hopefully I can help a few people to an economical decision - anything a ‘consumer’ is likely to be able to fully use is in that price range. Even my ‘open bench scope’ at work used to be a $250 model (I refabbed the lighting, but it’s mostly stock). Nice simple tool compared to the research scope that i put together for my main work (live-cell real-time video imaging of single bacteria interacting with gut cells).

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen the thread around here, but haven’t weighed in - no time- but I might go take another look. Hopefully I can help a few people to an economical decision - anything a ‘consumer’ is likely to be able to fully use is in that price range. Even my ‘open bench scope’ at work used to be a $250 model (I refabbed the lighting, but it’s mostly stock). Nice simple tool compared to the research scope that i put together for my main work (live-cell real-time video imaging of single bacteria interacting with gut cells).

For what it’s worth, the one you recommended I get is awesome. I know nothing about microscopes but this thing is super easy and, therefore, fun to use!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’m bummed but I have several fish that seem to be healthy and eating. I think I might lose one more based on its body shape compared to the other 3. I’m toying with isolating it and target feeding, but with wife in France and daycare off due to ‘snow’ it’s hard to see how I’m going to get time.

I’m going to try to carve out an hour later
Better in QT than the display right? Still sucks.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be a that sucks button! Very interesting about the lock jaw thing. I have so very little experience with this disease crapola. How will you know it is uronema by necropsy? I can see the fish in picture was sooo skinny, but other than that...
But that thin is hard to come back from. And you got these guys from a LFS right? Man. Sigh. I sure hope the other pull thru for you.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back