OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a quick pic test on this mobile view since Tapatalk got canned...

319D4E48-13B4-4BA0-9E4F-4000E752ECD4.png

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

Got back from an 18 day vacation last night, and must say my tank seems to have held up pretty well. No livestock deaths, my ATO was flawless and still reading 1.025, but my BA overflow is surging a little and I have a massive Cyanobacteria issue.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Plan is to scrape the glass while running my dual reactors in floss mode, scrub the rocks to get rid of the major gunk, then a 20% water change. Then I’m going to check levels, but will probably find zero nitrate, so I’ll dose spectracide to compensate. Hopefully, with my levels >0ppm (5ppm nitrate, 0.03 ppm phosphate is where is like to be) the Cyanobacteria will hopefully recede. I’m hoping the competition with the cyano will have put a dent in the Chrysophytes that’s been bugging the tank.

Once all that is done- got some big, kinda cool projects I need to start! Planted macro fuge for one.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did try directly uploading vids in the post but no luck.

Maybe this’ll work-

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that kinda sucks.

I’ve been using Tapatalk and inserting YouTube links, and it’s been fine.

R2R just ditched Tapatalk so I’m using the mobile site. Not really enjoying the user experience so much right now

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that kinda sucks.

I’ve been using Tapatalk and inserting YouTube links, and it’s been fine.

R2R just ditched Tapatalk so I’m using the mobile site. Not really enjoying the user experience so much right now

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had an issue with one of my brand new inkbird temp controllers. I put it on my new coral QT, then a month later realized it was wayyyy off when I dipped my fingers in to retrieve a dropped float switch. It was running 9 degrees high, so reading 77of but actually at 68of. I set the compensation, which resolved it for s day but it wasn’t long before I hit the -15of max compensation.

I was running the qt without it, but then saw a post on a local reef group by an inkbird rep- I posted a quick message (actually kinda a snarky comment) but she responded immediately, and once I verified it was a new purchase, she sent out a new probe. All I had to do was solder it in place. They gave directions for snipping the wires off the old probe and adding this one, but that’s too ghetto.

So today, I opened it up, removed the old probe and soldered the new one in place on the board. It’s running now, about 0.7of higher than my baby butt thermometer (cleaned, and sanitized, lol) and I stick it on my invert QT.

Solid customer service from inkbird, manageable fix for me, but maybe someone else would have appreciated a whole new controller for ease.

Let’s see how long it lasts.

30% WC on coral QT 20l done
Inkbird probe fixed
Making RODI
Scraped my DT glass
Reactor in floss mode in sump to catch cleaning debris

Cheers!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be doing a diy AWC (genesis renew type), so I need to increase my saltwater capacity. Currently it’s a 55gal blue barrel. Would like to add a second to bring my on-hand capacity to 100 gallons.

You think if I put a big 2” pvc pipe and a couple uniseals between them (at the bottom), I’ll get enough exchange that I won’t get a salinity mismatch in the two barrels? Also plan to pump water from one, and put it into the other to circulate between the two.

Thoughts?

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be doing a diy AWC (genesis renew type), so I need to increase my saltwater capacity. Currently it’s a 55gal blue barrel. Would like to add a second to bring my on-hand capacity to 100 gallons.

You think if I put a big 2” pvc pipe and a couple uniseals between them (at the bottom), I’ll get enough exchange that I won’t get a salinity mismatch in the two barrels? Also plan to pump water from one, and put it into the other to circulate between the two.

Thoughts?
No experience with this one. Put the question in the salt water mixing thread maybe?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?
If you pump even a few gallons a minute from one container into the other the salinity will stay matched without a problem.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok

My ToDo list is ridiculous and I’ve spent the past two days bouncing around 4-5 project plans.

So here’s what I’m going to do:

1: fishroom Apex electrical integration
2: Improve filtration and skimming capacity
3: planted macro- refugium
4: phytoPod farm V2.0
5: cryptic sponge Refugium

6: DIY LED array- 600 watts, 5 channel. Coralux storm control. Aiming for the output of 3 x radion pros, but 1/4 price.

7: APEX *special project* and AWC
8: replace heaters with heat exchanger

In order of planned execution.

Deets on request. See something you like, and I’ll talk about it.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
England calling, I now this sounds odd, sorry, I don't see the point in water changes, I do dose, bed time, a further reply will be delayed.
I never did WC on my 55 I had in grad school in Cambridge. It wasn’t super successful but I was also putting in 70 hour weeks at the lab. Can’t say for sure what the issue was

I’m an expat now in ATL. US based 11 years.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the rational for the filtration refugiums to be added on to the system. I hate to see you do what I did. I think I added mine too soon and it stripped the system to zero. When I saw the cheato growth stall I should have cut it way down and cut back the light. and maybe added iron too? I think anyway. I am not very experienced with this, just read a lot. I am wondering if adding them later after the tank has more life and is creating lots of waste to be managed. Or are you thinking they will take up what is fueling the cyano, and chrysothings?
Are you making diagrams and just building it out in your head? of course share the diagrams if you are.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back