Fishy's first reef tank - IM 25 Lagoon

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Halichoeres Leucoxanthus finally grew up big enough to eat the Stomatellas and now I have close to 0 again... Made me kinda sad.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Halichoeres Leucoxanthus finally grew up big enough to eat the Stomatellas and now I have close to 0 again... Made me kinda sad.
I had one hitchhike in about two years ago. Haven’t seen it in over a year and a half. Must have been the only one, no reproduction, and is now with it’s loved ones that passed before it.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you end up with 1 or 2 females you'll have 100 in no time!
Really - didn’t know that. I’ve been thinking about these guys as well. Maybe I can add to my TSA order with the bioballs coming next week. Thanks for the suggestion guys!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Will, how you liking the AquaticLog App? I love it! Just add test numbers and boom, trend chart!

I haven’t played with anything else on it yet; but I think I’ll add my corals (names, when/where I got it and where I put it on the scape - lol), because I already have trouble remembering some cause they look similar.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really - didn’t know that. I’ve been thinking about these guys as well. Maybe I can add to my TSA order with the bioballs coming next week. Thanks for the suggestion guys!
I was actually looking for some ceriths, I’ve been asking my lfs to get some for the past few months and when I saw the stomatellas I had to get some.

OP
OP
Fishy Guy

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a 6 pack of stomatellas from Top Shelf. They arrive on Thursday.
As long as you end up with 1 or 2 females you'll have 100 in no time!

You'll have to give us your thoughts once you get them Kev. How big do they get and do they eat algae or just detritus?

I've got a bit of hair algae and need to bolster my CUC; was going to do more astraeas and blue-leg hermits but haven't had time to make it to my LFS yet.

Hey Will, how you liking the AquaticLog App? I love it! Just add test numbers and boom, trend chart!

I haven’t played with anything else on it yet; but I think I’ll add my corals (names, when/where I got it and where I put it on the scape - lol), because I already have trouble remembering some cause they look similar.

I really like AquaticLog. The trend charts are nice and it's hugely beneficial for me to track dosing; I force myself to update it in real time when I dose because I frequently can't remember same day if I actually did it or not. It could be useful for tracking corals but I've not used that part; I have put in my fish and some of the inverts though.

In other notes, I've ordered a dosing pump because I'm not doing a good job being consistent doing it manually.

Also upgraded my wavemaker. Initially switched to a Jebao DLW-10 but found it too powerful for my tank, even set at the minimum and I really wanted to get some variable flow so that wasn't going to work. Switched over to a Hygger mini and find it perfect.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to give us your thoughts once you get them Kev. How big do they get and do they eat algae or just detritus?

I've got a bit of hair algae and need to bolster my CUC; was going to do more astraeas and blue-leg hermits but haven't had time to make it to my LFS yet.

I really like AquaticLog. The trend charts are nice and it's hugely beneficial for me to track dosing; I force myself to update it in real time when I dose because I frequently can't remember same day if I actually did it or not. It could be useful for tracking corals but I've not used that part; I have put in my fish and some of the inverts though.

In other notes, I've ordered a dosing pump because I'm not doing a good job being consistent doing it manually.

Also upgraded my wavemaker. Initially switched to a Jebao DLW-10 but found it too powerful for my tank, even set at the minimum and I really wanted to get some variable flow so that wasn't going to work. Switched over to a Hygger mini and find it perfect.
I was able to add some stomatella as well to my TSA order this week. I’m excited to see what they’re all about. I still get little tufts of algae on frags. But I have to say, my mondo emerald crab is a voracious algae eater so far.

I have to log testing in real time as well - memory not so good with numbers. And I should add dosing, thanks for reminder.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will let you know, they are algae eating machines. I’ll see if they dethrone my tuxedo urchin for the best algae eating cuc. From what I’ve read the absolute king of algae eating is the lowly sea hair. I don’t think my small tank could produce enough algae to keep one long term though.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

My biggest were around 2". They were algae eaters almost constantly scouring the rocks and glass. Uglies critters but great and readily breed in the aquarium.

OP
OP
Fishy Guy

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Will, how is your acan recovering?
It's pretty much the same. Found a point where it's not getting worse but not looking better yet. I'm still sad ha, it was such a vibrant, "meaty" coral before.

IMG_6842.jpeg

Rest of the tank is doing well though.
IMG_6843.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty much the same. Found a point where it's not getting worse but not looking better yet. I'm still sad ha, it was such a vibrant, "meaty" coral before.

IMG_6842.jpeg

Rest of the tank is doing well though.
IMG_6843.jpeg
That has plenty of life left in it, it will take some time but I think it will return to its former glory. I noticed a couple of orange spots on the coral skeleton of the acan I thought I completely lost, about the size of a pencil eraser. Moved it to a better spot, it has a much longer road to go but fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Fishy Guy

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has plenty of life left in it, it will take some time but I think it will return to its former glory. I noticed a couple of orange spots on the coral skeleton of the acan I thought I completely lost, about the size of a pencil eraser. Moved it to a better spot, it has a much longer road to go but fingers crossed.
Do you think moving it to an area of lower flow would help? It's getting more now since I upgraded the wavemaker.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think moving it to an area of lower flow would help? It's getting more now since I upgraded the wavemaker.
I tend to keep mine in low flow and light, not sure the amount of new flow but you can try it and just keep a close eye on it.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the stomatellas yesterday?
Yes, I got 6 and 6 cerith snails. I posted on this thread yesterday but should have posted on yours because, if I remember right, you were the one asking for the update. Sorry.
62E272FF-F5E1-4026-AB17-162BBF56E13F.jpeg

OP
OP
Fishy Guy

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acan looks like it may be trying to turn the corner.

IMG_6852.jpeg

The new sinularia is finally starting to look more lively as well. Though not sure it is attaching to the plug.

IMG_6853.jpeg

Cotton candy torch has gone from a single head to at least 3 and possibly a 4th.

IMG_6854.jpeg

Most everything else seems to be doing good as well.

IMG_6855.jpeg

IMG_6856.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acan looks like it may be trying to turn the corner.

IMG_6852.jpeg

The new sinularia is finally starting to look more lively as well. Though not sure it is attaching to the plug.

IMG_6853.jpeg

Cotton candy torch has gone from a single head to at least 3 and possibly a 4th.

IMG_6854.jpeg

Most everything else seems to be doing good as well.

IMG_6855.jpeg

IMG_6856.jpeg
Wow just wow! Tank looks great and I wouldn’t say your acan is starting to turn around, it has turned around, looks great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back