Fishy's first reef tank - IM 25 Lagoon

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I'm having much better luck keeping levels stable while dialing in the AFR than I did with the ESV 2-part.

With the 2-part I could pretty consistently manage calcium and it matched up with the online calculators. Alk on the other hand did not match the calculators and the same dose would have a different effect on different days; really puzzling. Though the ESV Ca is good to mix in with my new batches of water since the IO I have mixes low.
Yeah, I’m loving the AFR and so far I’ve been doing it correctly, I just get nervous on chemicals cause science ain’t my jam. But Tropic Marin is so great on tutorials and I enjoy watching Lou’s videos because he talks in layman terms

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I'm doing 5ml manually right now. Not making any quick changes as I monitor it but that may be a touch high.

I appreciate it but I ended up getting a six-line instead. Wanted to get something quickly to help with a zoa-eating nudi problem I was having. My LFS said they would most likely be able to order a pink streaked in April; said spring is when they become available for whatever reason.
Awesome, AFR is the bomb.com! Do you split those doses up over the day or 5mL and call it a day? Lol don't want to have to buy a doser in the near future!!

Thats good, can't sit around waiting on fish season while you have an issue going on! haha

OP
OP
Fishy Guy

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, AFR is the bomb.com! Do you split those doses up over the day or 5mL and call it a day? Lol don't want to have to buy a doser in the near future!!

Thats good, can't sit around waiting on fish season while you have an issue going on! haha
I've just been doing the whole dose at once. I'm the same in not wanting to buy a doser right now. I use an inexpensive Jebao doser for ferts on my freshwater tank but not sure if I trust the accuracy enough to get another for the reef tank. Good dosers are expensive and I prefer putting money towards fish and corals ha.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got
I've just been doing the whole dose at once. I'm the same in not wanting to buy a doser right now. I use an inexpensive Jebao doser for ferts on my freshwater tank but not sure if I trust the accuracy enough to get another for the reef tank. Good dosers are expensive and I prefer putting money towards fish and corals ha.
I'm totally hands on myself . I must be doing something right, as my lps and non acro sps are all looking happy to very happy. Acros, well , still working on that…
By the way tank looks very nice.

OP
OP
Fishy Guy

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally hands on myself . I must be doing something right, as my lps and non acro sps are all looking happy to very happy. Acros, well , still working on that…
By the way tank looks very nice.
Thanks so much! I just took a quick look at your build thread; tank looks great and I love all of your gonis.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks so much! I just took a quick look at your build thread; tank looks great and I love all of your gonis.
Please don't encourage him...

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you like your IM SR 60? I feel like that would be an ideal/realistic upgrade if I ever do one.
I loved it. I just outgrew it. If I had my own place and the money and space to do it I’d get the largest (SR120)

OP
OP
Fishy Guy

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update after moving some corals around.

Added an Avatar Chalice on Sunday.
IMG_6773.jpeg

Thought I left enough room between it and the Acan but I found the Acan shriveled up this morning so relocated the Chalice.
IMG_6784.jpeg

Middle finger GSP has reached the back wall in multiple places and is spreading.
IMG_6788.jpeg

IMG_6789.jpeg

Duncan is growing and has 3 new heads
IMG_6785.jpeg

Hammer appears to be splitting on both sides plus has another small head coming in
IMG_6786.jpeg

Cotton candy torch appears to be splitting as well
IMG_6787.jpeg

2/3 of my Candy Cane is nice and plump and the other 1/3 appears to be struggling a bit
IMG_6791.jpeg

IMG_6792.jpeg

All fish and inverts are doing well and getting along.
IMG_6794.jpeg

Finally FTS
IMG_6783.jpeg

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update after moving some corals around.

Added an Avatar Chalice on Sunday.
IMG_6773.jpeg

Thought I left enough room between it and the Acan but I found the Acan shriveled up this morning so relocated the Chalice.
IMG_6784.jpeg

Middle finger GSP has reached the back wall in multiple places and is spreading.
IMG_6788.jpeg

IMG_6789.jpeg

Duncan is growing and has 3 new heads
IMG_6785.jpeg

Hammer appears to be splitting on both sides plus has another small head coming in
IMG_6786.jpeg

Cotton candy torch appears to be splitting as well
IMG_6787.jpeg

2/3 of my Candy Cane is nice and plump and the other 1/3 appears to be struggling a bit
IMG_6791.jpeg

IMG_6792.jpeg

All fish and inverts are doing well and getting along.
IMG_6794.jpeg

Finally FTS
IMG_6783.jpeg
Gosh Will, everything is looking so happy and all the new growth is fantastic! You must be very pleased

And that finger… lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishy Guy

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh Will, everything is looking so happy and all the new growth is fantastic! You must be very pleased

And that finger… lol
Coming along nicely, beautiful , pat yourself on the back!
Thank you both!

I talk a big game but still fret about whether I'm doing the right things. Seeing some growth puts my mind at ease as I work through these initial stages of tank maturity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back