Fix or glue a broken protein skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reefmon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Sounds tricky and messy but good idea.
it's both but, lets hope it's not needed but it's an option. I pack the leaking area first with the shavings and add the weldon on top.
 
You're a real man as long as you include a hammer along with that duct tape. If it can't be fixed with either a hammer and/or duct tape, it can't be fixed!!!! :D

If it moves and it's not suppose to, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it suppose to, use wd-40.
Words to live by :cool:
 
How big is it?
 
you will need a scrap piece of acrylic that you can scrape fillings off with a razor blade to fill in the area that's leaking, also you want it set it up so that it's flat allowing the weldon to flow into the crack.
 
Last edited:
Can't see how big the hole is but it was leaking pretty good. So I use the weld-16? Do I put the glue on then sprinkle the shavings or vise versa? Thanks
Depending on how big the leaking area is this might not work what you need to do is take as much shavings as you can possibly scrape off and pack the leaking area full then pour the weldon 16 over top and let it soak in.

Gravity will do the rest soaking the weldon 16 into the scrapings and melting them slightly to create a sort of patch.

One more thing, if the initial patch doesn't hold you can repeat the process building up more layers.
 
Last edited:
It's a thin gap. I probably could've been more generous on that side when I poured the weld-on[emoji20]. I think the shaving will work
 
So I get a deal on a second hand reef octopus 5000ext and break it by dropping it! Didn't been in one or two pieces but in 3 pieces!!

Any experience in glueing it so it doesn't leak? I've purchased weld-on 4 and weld-on 16 but scared to trying it because of it not working. I would really appreciate you guys help
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1439507420.069584.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1439507439.492009.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1439507468.389764.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1439507485.125733.jpg
I would have the piece milled out by your good friend the machinest if you have one. And redo the fitting..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new