Protein Skimmer for Nuvo 50 Lagoon

  • Thread starter Thread starter cdbean
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cdbean

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 6, 2024
Messages
41
Reaction score
26
Location
Long Branch
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some input on a protein skimmer for my AIO. I was looking at the Tunze 9004 but I'm doubtful that I can fit it. Other options are the Reef Octopus Classic 90, 100 or 1000 or the AquaReady 1.5 or Bullet 3. I have a high bioload and dual Nature Dimensions rollers in the two outer chambers and an Aqua UV 15W hang on unit coming. I would appreciate any input on those skimmers or any others I might have missed.
 
The reef octopus classic 1000 is amazing so far, but I've only had it 2 months.

The aquaready 1.5 is also amazing, I used it for 4 years, its a hard core workhorse. The only reason I stopped using it was because I lost the impeller during maintenance.

I bought the Bullet 3 as a replacement, mostly just to try something new. It is basically a cheap copy of the 1.5, it has a smaller body, smaller pump, thinner plastic, and produces less skimmate than the 1.5. And frankly it became fidgety when it got dirty so it needed frequent cleaning, and after a year and half of putting up with its crankiness I decided to sell it and got the octopus.
 
Thanks for the reply, it's kind of what I was thinking. Since the tank is in my bedroom, any thoughts on whether the 1000 or the 1.5 looks better and less intrusive and is there any major difference in noise? I appreciate the feedback
 
noise-wise the octopus is slightly more quiet, but not by too much.
 
Thanks again, appreciate the thoughts. I think I'll order the Reef Octopus.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new