Fixing broken prefilter/weir on eshopps HOB overflow

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I uh..dropped the overflow. Back part of the black piece that sits in the tank and is tightened against the external overflow box. I believe the material is acrylic, how do I glue this thing back together so it's water tight?

I assume aquarium silicone won't work since it's not glass?

8D384107-E33F-44A9-ABBA-254BEF1E5ADA.jpeg 7B717E93-D6DA-46E9-8665-8E6C8280A04B.jpeg image.jpg

OP
OP
D

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic cement at lowes maybe? I assume I could make it water tight, especially if I glue on another piece of acrylic to the back of it over the seam? Or am I crazy and this won't work?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's acrylic, you'll want to use one of the Weld-on cements. Just not sure which number. I would think the thick one, which again, not sure of the number.

OP
OP
D

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's acrylic, you'll want to use one of the Weld-on cements. Just not sure which number. I would think the thick one, which again, not sure of the number.
Thank you. It appears to be the same type of material used on the eshopps eclipse overflows which I believe is acrylic.

I've no experience with acrylic, I know with some silicone I could have this fixed and running waterproof no problem - would the the thick acrylic weld-on cements do the same?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weld-on chemically "melts" the two pieces together making them one again. So it's really not a glue or cement.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason silicone wont work. However for strength Use can use a glue gun " my choice ". Or epoxy. It being an Aquarium I would shy away from that or any other chemical bonding personally

OP
OP
D

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason silicone wont work. However for strength Use can use a glue gun " my choice ". Or epoxy. It being an Aquarium I would shy away from that or any other chemical bonding personally
I actually tried silicone and it just doesn't bond well enough to hold the piece together from what I can tell. After letting it cure overnight it was too wiggly and immediately fell apart. I ordered some weld-on, which was like $25(!!!). I'm going to try JB Water Weld today in the off chance that works and I can return the big tube of weld-on that I'll likely never use again

OP
OP
D

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update - Oateys all purpose cement (PVC/ABS glue) seems to have worked which leads me to believe that it's not actually acrylic. Will water test it in a bit. Pleasently surprised.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back