Fixing dry rock to back wall?

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an established tank and am making a few small changes to my Aquascape. Just a little progression.

I'd like to glue a small chunk of branch rock to the overflow wall (It's a peninsula) to look like about 6-8" of branch rock is growing out of the glass.

Has anyone had any luck with getting an overhanging rock to actually stick to the back glass? If so, how?

Thanks!

The tank in question: HERE

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo this could be cool!

I assume your doing this while the tank has water in it and the water level would be above where you want to attach the branch?

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I've got an established tank and am making a few small changes to my Aquascape. Just a little progression.

I'd like to glue a small chunk of branch rock to the overflow wall (It's a peninsula) to look like about 6-8" of branch rock is growing out of the glass.

Has anyone had any luck with getting an overhanging rock to actually stick to the back glass? If so, how?

Thanks!

The tank in question: HERE
I want that camera for my tank lol

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's gonna be tough to do when considering leverage. But if it were me, I'd probably consider draining the tank down to the level you want to attach to rock and make sure it's dry, use a good 2 part epoxy and get the attachment point of the rock as flat as you can. Probably need to rig up some sort of support until the epoxy cures as well.

dakk50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an idea... if you cant drain the tank to the level needed as mentioned above, you may be able to set up a harness type system with fishing line or something to support the majority of the weight until the adhesive you use cures against the glass

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What adhesive should I use? Can 2 part epoxy be used underwater?

For sure I’ll have to brace it while it cures.
There are a number of epoxies that cure underwater. But the challenge is getting it to stick to the glass. Maybe rough the surface slightly with fine sandpaper...but epoxy and glass is risky ime

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back