FL-FL-FL Fillory's Reef - SPS Evo 13

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions about your lighting. With the ai do you get any disco effets on the sandbed? What do you think of it overall?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a chance to check out the build thread! Lookin good! Your parameters are a bit different from mine, so dont be surprised if the sticks stall out a little bit before taking back off... its a pretty common occurrence. Still - looks good - Ill be interested to see if that little bubblegum monti (pale blue with orange polyps) colors up for you better than it did for me. :D

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool tank! I’m following. I see you live in gr area, i do too. Have you been too blue fish aquarium?

Yeah I've been in to Blue Fish, Dutch Family Reef and VI Pets. Also been out to Preuss in Lansing. Lack of selection in GR for SPS especially, which I didn't care about on my previous tanks as I didn't try to grow any SPS, but now i'm noticing that i'll have to order online to really get much in the way of SPS.

I have a few questions about your lighting. With the ai do you get any disco effets on the sandbed? What do you think of it overall?

I love the AI Prime(s)! I don't get a disco effect with these lights like I did with my SBReeflights. They do provide a type of "shimmer" not like Metal Halides, but I really like the controllablility and programming capabilities. The ability to put my lights into acclimation mode is great as well as it's a new tank and everything needs acclimated all at once. If I decide I want to step up my lighting, All I need to do is program higher intensities and set up the acclimation period.

Finally got a chance to check out the build thread! Lookin good! Your parameters are a bit different from mine, so dont be surprised if the sticks stall out a little bit before taking back off... its a pretty common occurrence. Still - looks good - Ill be interested to see if that little bubblegum monti (pale blue with orange polyps) colors up for you better than it did for me. :D

Thanks! I'm seeing a lot of PE all day long with all the pieces I got from you, and i'm going to be implementing the Red Sea colors program next week. I haven't even seen anything but Orange on that monti since getting it! It hasn't closed up once!

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticks arent widely available on the west side in the LFS, but there's a decent community around here that likely has whatever you are looking for. Ive got a ton of sticks, and I know a bunch of other locals that also have most of the sticks that people are looking for :D

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticks arent widely available on the west side in the LFS, but there's a decent community around here that likely has whatever you are looking for. Ive got a ton of sticks, and I know a bunch of other locals that also have most of the sticks that people are looking for :D

If you see/know of someone selling something that you think would look good in my tank [but that you don't want yourself], send me a PM/text!

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now i'm looking at ideas/opinions on flow in my tank.

I have one koralia 425 in the back center/left [looking at the back panel from the front] with the Sicce 1.0 using two loc-line outputs on the top right of the tank.

I am thinking about adding a second powerhead, this time going with a Jebao PP4 or similar so that I can do pulses/create a more random flow in the tank.

I would like a MP10, but it would have to go on the front glass panel, so that is out. Is there any other pump(s) that would work well in my small tank for the purposes of increased, random flow?

Do you reckon that I can create strong and random flow for all of my SPS using two pumps and a return all on the back panel?

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 6040 is tiny, controllable and can be ramped up or down, wave control the whole nine yards. I have two of them in my tank attached to the overflow box to generate flow in the back of the tank. You can mount them in just about any orientation and they just flat out work. Great customer service and quiet as a mouse.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 6040 is tiny, controllable and can be ramped up or down, wave control the whole nine yards. I have two of them in my tank attached to the overflow box to generate flow in the back of the tank. You can mount them in just about any orientation and they just flat out work. Great customer service and quiet as a mouse.

How do you think one of those, coupled with the hydor 425 and return would do for my tank?

The harder justification is the difference in price between the

$44 Jebao [i've had only good experiences with these pumps so far] https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Propel...id=1524159693&sr=8-3&keywords=jebao+wavemaker

and

$140 Tunze 6040 - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-turbelle-nanostream-6040.html

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, another one from gr. Welcome to the club

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you think one of those, coupled with the hydor 425 and return would do for my tank?

The harder justification is the difference in price between the

$44 Jebao [i've had only good experiences with these pumps so far] https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Propel...id=1524159693&sr=8-3&keywords=jebao+wavemaker

and

$140 Tunze 6040 - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-turbelle-nanostream-6040.html

Ive used the jebao pumps before (two or three models ago though) and they are cheap, but I didnt have luck with them long term. After a pair of swelled prop magnets, I started looking for something that was more reliable. Tunze pumps have been around forever, they are quiet, even when they are fuzzy and need to be cleaned, most pumps have at least a five year warranty. Roger, the tunze rep for the US, is an active member on this forum, and his customer service is amazing. The pumps have a robust motor block and controller... basically, I really like them.

The 6040 in particular is nice because of the shape of the pump, its really small and has a deflector on it that allows you to get the flow pattern really dialed in, and it doesnt stick out far into the tank, which is also nice (the 6040 is at least an inch smaller than that jebao pump in every dimension) . I cant even see mine in the tank at all. On these ones you can go as low as 100 gph or high enough to use on a 5' long tank - so you should have more than enough flow, even if this was the only pump in the tank. Mine have been running in my tank since December 2016 with no real issues.

I would recommend it, if you want a reliable small profile pump, even if it is a bit more - there are cheaper Tunze pumps, but they arent controllable, which I think you'd want in such a small tank :) Let me know if you want some videos or anything, I can grab them when I get home.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Michigander. Nice little tank! I too have seriously considered adding a tank to my office desk at work. But I know I would stare at it all day instead of working... so I must refrain.

Nice tank! Love the location.

The AA swap was quite decent! But there is so many events... to the point of saturation.

What do you plan to keep in the tank?

Congrats on the new tank and oh my you have it bad... just like the rest of us.

And yes I marveled at the snow today here in Michigan. I think I will make it to the brownstown swap. I went to the Ann Arbor one and regretted not purchasing a gold torch that was amazing!

Nice work! and really looking good ...GR has really turned into a Fun Hipsters destination, Breweries ect. I lived in BR for a few years and still vacation on the west side, just sold acreage in Greenville last year due to the outbreak, so it's back to lake city and reed city for the Fall migration.

Cool tank! I’m following. I see you live in gr area, i do too. Have you been too blue fish aquarium?

Tagged everyone in the thread so far from Michigan.

If you didn't already know, there's a Michigan forum on R2R - check it out and maybe breath some life into our state's sub-forum!

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/michigan.541/

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my new light hanging poles mounted to the tank/stand tonight. Used black pipe from the plumbing section at home Depot, used mineral spirits to remove the paint in the horizontal piece at the wife's request.

Also got my reefkeeper mostly set up. Got two temp sensors, three dosing pumps (ALK, Cal, ATO), power head, return, heater and two open plugs.

Have to calibrate my pH probe tomorrow and set up the NET module.

I currently have one temp sensor in the middle sump compartment and another in the tank on the side. I'm not sure where to best put my pH probe, possibly return section to keep it out of the tank, or in the tank on the edges of the glass where the sump divider is?

Don't want it in the center compartment as that's where the dosing tubes release.

cef06b6ecd02f7396f32f5511f69f7d0.jpg
f68bc80438e1c69baeb0234ab1ec9cf5.jpg
40b75f11f021c904a76d4af4adf1adc9.jpg
8f1a704da3eb11579ea8f50504febb49.jpg

967a7d14bd8a6dbe451b3d76196f28cb.jpg

Yes, I did straighten the lights out after seeing this picture!

1d3ebc358efa10e9acef5e66afb66601.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two AI Prime on a 10 gallon... Man this guy lights.

Lol I was watching the BRS reviews/testing of the AI Primes and the required PAR levels for SPS and determined that i'd be better off with two of the Primes on this tank as I intend for it to be 90% SPS, and wanted to avoid any shadowing. This tank is going to be a growout type tank for my next [much larger] tank. I want to grow these little sticks into mini colonies in order to frag and trade/move to a bigger system.

Thanks for stopping by!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 61.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.0%
Back