Fla keys live rock from KP Aquatics (picture heavy eye candy)

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love KP aquatics, seeded my tank with 25lbs of live rock from them in Feb of this year, awesome stuff! Wish I bought more.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock looks really nice - though remove that neomeris stalk if you haven't already.

Thanks! Keeping my eye on the neo’s.. there is a few in there but I doubt they make it the tank will probably be dark until probably October, I know they are the devil in disguise but I’ve never had them last more than a few months, they will deplete your calcium I believe If they get out of hand.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BeautifulWonder what $$$ amt the State of Florida requires to lease that area. Betcha it's a chunk of change and the Gov ppwrk is as thick as an old phonebook.
Your right ! I read up on the leasing procedures for Florida underwater land. There are EPA & state study's licensing permits , Lawyers ,gotta produce a business plan on & on. You pay & Pay for all this. Then You go on the waiting list ! These guys Kp & Tampa bay , I'm most be more went thru all this !
As for reef restoration I'm not sure but I bet there are a bunch of procedures involved in that also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful

Wonder what $$$ amt the State of Florida requires to lease that area. Betcha it's a chunk of change and the Gov ppwrk is as thick as an old phonebook.

I’m sure it’s a lot, they supposedly also have another spot in shallower waters but it’s currently not in use..

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my rocks from TBS and they were so full of life. However I hope you looked for and removed undesirable hitchhikers before placing rocks in tank, coming from the ocean the rocks had so many gorilla crabs and pistol shrimp. Would still find some crabs months later hidden in the rocks.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love KP aquatics, seeded my tank with 25lbs of live rock from them in Feb of this year, awesome stuff! Wish I bought more.

Wish I had bought more also after I saw it ;Facepalm.. lol, I do have 15 pounds of nice clean rock that’s been in one of my other tanks for a few years that’s going in with the KP once the rock has cured a little.. have you had any algae issues? How soon did you fully illuminate your reef after introducing the KP rock?

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right ! I read up on the leasing procedures for Florida underwater land. There are EPA & state study's licensing permits , Lawyers ,gotta produce a business plan on & on. You pay & Pay for all this. Then You go on the waiting list ! These guys Kp & Tampa bay , I'm most be more went thru all this !
As for reef restoration I'm not sure but I bet there are a bunch of procedures involved in that also.

It’s a well established 25+ year old family owned business. Ken Nedimyer handed the business off to his daughter in 2011 to do reef conservation work so even though permits and leases are probably expensive the huge cost of establishing a business has been long paid for so I’m sure they do ok, I think the biggest thing for Kara and her husband Philipp is they are doing what they love.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those are great looking rocks! I kinda want a small soft ball sized one to switch out with one of mine.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not cost anything. I know they restore reefs

I'm sure that's what all those racks of stag are for. That's a Caribbean species that really would have no market in the aquarium trade.

Would love to dive that site just to poke around. You know when the big French Angels are hanging around in numbers there's some nice sponge and macroalgae growing!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to switch out a few rocks in my system. Some of my live rock is approaching 20years and is disintegrating plus the lack of bio diversity

I bought most of my rock as uncured Florida rock almost 30 years ago. It spent four years languishing in the woods behind my house which certainly didn't help with the bio-diversity - well, not the right kind. I'm really tempted to buy some of this stuff and see.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that's what all those racks of stag are for. That's a Caribbean species that really would have no market in the aquarium trade.

Would love to dive that site just to poke around. You know when the big French Angels are hanging around in numbers there's some nice sponge and macroalgae growing!
Different research but I'm sure its the same concept and they just also run a business

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had bought more also after I saw it ;Facepalm.. lol, I do have 15 pounds of nice clean rock that’s been in one of my other tanks for a few years that’s going in with the KP once the rock has cured a little.. have you had any algae issues? How soon did you fully illuminate your reef after introducing the KP rock?

I haven't really had algae issues, I did have some hair algae and also Dinos for awhile, but I used Vibrant to get rid of them. I think the Dinos were a result of me letting nutrients get too low, however. I am still seeing new stuff come out of my rocks 5 months later, so many feather dusters!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Was just in key West. Lots of emerald and hairy crab species. Lots of red coloration and plant life and in only 20 feet of water. Rinse rock well as it is Sandy and lots of pores filled with who knows what

U

User1

View Badges
Nice looking rock ! Iv'e talked to these guys If your in driving distance A weeks Va Ka to the keys is really nice . On the way back You can buy some Lr & SAVE A lot on shipping.
You would not believe all the hoops Kp had to jump thru to lease land in Florida waters !

KP is nice - I placed a purchase from them a few weeks back of a couple items. Not rock but everything was well received, packaged well, and arrived on time. Funny you should mention driving by. I'm in Northern California. Daughter and I may be taking the car out for a road trip. I was joking at dinner one night when I said we'll drive it to the Southern most point in the US which I believe Key West is and back. Stop along the way in Vegas, Atlanta, New Orleans, and maybe Santa Fe just for fun. My wife was like your crazy and nuts - I'm out. My daughter was like I got shot-gun :)

I could do a stop, purchase and b-line it back to California... :D

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible looking rock - I am planning a KP order in the next couple weeks for a new 88g tank. Does the 50lb order sound about right? I might combine it with some 'live rock' from another tank and the LFS. Right now I am thinking no sand for a couple weeks while I weed any undesirables out of the rock. What do people who order from KP do for sand? I'd prefer live (I could order from TBS which looks awesome as well)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back