Fla keys live rock from KP Aquatics (picture heavy eye candy)

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just in key West. Lots of emerald and hairy crab species. Lots of red coloration and plant life and in only 20 feet of water. Rinse rock well as it is Sandy and lots of pores filled with who knows what

Rinsed it a little before initially placing in tank but yesterday I went through the rock with a powerhead blasting every hole I saw.. looked like a grey snow storm in the tank ;Wideyed, syphoned out what I could doing a water change after it settled

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible looking rock - I am planning a KP order in the next couple weeks for a new 88g tank. Does the 50lb order sound about right? I might combine it with some 'live rock' from another tank and the LFS. Right now I am thinking no sand for a couple weeks while I weed any undesirables out of the rock. What do people who order from KP do for sand? I'd prefer live (I could order from TBS which looks awesome as well)
Here is what 55 lbs looked like in my wifes 65
cystaline 2-29 - R.jpg

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s beautiful! When we were setting up our 500 we met this guy that was one of few that had a collection license in the Marshall Islands. He typically sells only wholesale but he agreed to sell to us. We ordered 400 lbs of rock. He put it in boxes and shipped it. We went to the airport in our truck and brought it home. It was AMAZING! Stuff all over and inside. I didn’t know about these guys until your post but I will definitely order from them when I get this new tank set up.

tgbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered 20lbs to add some diversity to my tank that I restarted with all dry rock following a move. So far I’m really impressed with the amount and different types of life on the rock. We’ll see how much makes it’s through the cycle.

0c46c3ddd14e3bc4299804c3ab33bbdd.jpg

Think it’s time for a water change.......

322fdda0a216996dfa410861a63361f7.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them a call. Take a cooler good change the rock would not be out of water hardly at all ! This is what I did at TBS years ago. They had a store front You could go to & pick your rock straight out of the tubs. Put it all in a couple big coolers & headed straight back to Jax. 3 hrs max from tank to tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here is what 55 lbs looked like in my wifes 65
cystaline 2-29 - R.jpg
That is some dog-gone pretty rock. Under the natural ocean light, it looked Nothing like that. Guess you found out about the sand and holes I saw myself.

William zech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being out of the hobby for twenty years, I decided to make a concerted effort to get back into reef keeping. The first order of “premium” live rock was a major disappointment. No coralline algae, no life no nothing on the rock even though the rock was being sold as originating from the Indo Pacific. I learned that this rock was being shipped in by ocean in a dry condition and being cured at wholesellers tanks. For me, this was not live rock, not the way I purchased twenty years ago anyway. At the start, I had also purchased a Red Sea 250 Reefer setup with Kessil AP 700 lights. I was determined I would not use the “live” rock I had already purchased in this set up. I did use this rock in a 20 gallon high modified with an overflow stand pipe. I also started a search for live rock that would meet my definition for live rock. I found Tampa Bay who was curing rock from the Indo Pacific in the Gulf of Mexico. I placed an order with them and was elated with what I received. The rock had macro algae, sponges, tunicates and coralline algae covering the rock. Just like the old days. A few weeks later, other things started to appear, a sea urchin, crabs, brittle stars, snails and even a nudibranch. The rock is full of life.

The following pictures show the difference. The original “live rock” after being set up for 6 to 8 weeks and the Red Sea the day after I received the live rock from Tampa Bay. You can decide.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure you could. Take a drive down to Islamirada and do it… Take pictures if they let you! :D

not sure if yu can pick it out but easily pickit up. No shipping & fun road trip.

Yes you can absolutely pick it up and you will get a lot more rock for your money however I’m pretty sure an appointment is necessary because they spend most of the week out working their plot.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have a take a trip down there in August with the GF To see what I can get. I'd be happy getting a nice chunk of rock for my 40g and removing something I have already

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'd like to do, I hate paying for shipping Amazon has spoiled me
Rich from TBS will sometimes let u scuba dive to pick out the rocks (if u r a certified diver), not sure if this is only for repeat/good customers though. But u can definitely go and pick them up from his shop to save shipping $ bc shipping rocks from ocean was expensive and u have to go to the airport freight delivery section to pick them up, which wasn't fun in Newark airport!

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to switch out a few rocks in my system. Some of my live rock is approaching 20years and is disintegrating plus the lack of bio diversity
Sounds good, I had my rock since 1990, had to break my tank down for 4 years but I kept my rock in 40 gallon trash cans with water on them. It was still good rock but a lot of goodies died off, going to do a 60 cube soon, and was going to move some rock from main tank. This sounds like a good idea.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP is nice - I placed a purchase from them a few weeks back of a couple items. Not rock but everything was well received, packaged well, and arrived on time. Funny you should mention driving by. I'm in Northern California. Daughter and I may be taking the car out for a road trip. I was joking at dinner one night when I said we'll drive it to the Southern most point in the US which I believe Key West is and back. Stop along the way in Vegas, Atlanta, New Orleans, and maybe Santa Fe just for fun. My wife was like your crazy and nuts - I'm out. My daughter was like I got shot-gun :)

I could do a stop, purchase and b-line it back to California... :D

I’d go for it, only a 56 hour straight drive.. one way of course ;)

15A10B9F-2602-47D7-9947-48D592BFC1FB.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ugh. Still in Miami Beach but not enough time for a round trip and make it to airport and rental car return :-(

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible looking rock - I am planning a KP order in the next couple weeks for a new 88g tank. Does the 50lb order sound about right? I might combine it with some 'live rock' from another tank and the LFS. Right now I am thinking no sand for a couple weeks while I weed any undesirables out of the rock. What do people who order from KP do for sand? I'd prefer live (I could order from TBS which looks awesome as well)

50 - 60lbs sounds about right, I’m doing around 30lbs in my 40 breeder.. I’m running bare bottom until I can get the rock cleaned up a little then I’ll be adding a very shallow carib Sea aragonite bed, I want to get the aragonit in asap so it can populate with nitrifying bacteria

U

User1

View Badges
I’d go for it, only a 56 hour straight drive.. one way of course ;)

15A10B9F-2602-47D7-9947-48D592BFC1FB.png

Oh - the planning session is under way - trust me :) I've seen some folks do runs from New York to California in about 25 hours or so swapping drivers. This would be further but still. Being serious for a minute though it really is something we are thinking about just for fun. I'd say swapping driving duties and stopping the night at places we wanted to see it could work. Vegas to meet a friend for dinner. Atlanta because my daughter wants to see the aquarium. New Orleans for some music and food. Key West just because. Who knows, maybe we can sneak a day of diving in. Allocate 2 weeks? Seems doable :D

U

User1

View Badges
I know KP Aquatics advertises they are aptasia free. Are they less mantis shrimp prone as well? That would be nice.

I don't know how KP handles or processes orders. If I had to guess unless they shake, rattle, roll, or inspect you will get hitch hikers. I mean take a look at the videos. If you are a fish or crab or some other underwater creature and you happened by rows and rows of rubble wouldn't you say WoW??? Like a new development with homes, restaurants, and other find amenities :D Mantis shrimp are part of the equation. Now some may like, others may not - but just be glad you are not said Mantis. One minute you are enjoying your new digs provided by KP Aquatics and the next minute you are on a transport to some unknown location fearing of being water boarded. Ok, just kidding on the water boarding part but still it could happen!

Similar stories of TBS users. Some even get fish. I think it was @d2mini getting a fish in his shipment...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back