Flakes...Pellets...Frozen!

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, some quick questions about feeding. (i'm relatively new to the hobby!)

I have a 9g evo flex with 1 firefish and 1 cleaner shrimp in it so far. My next and last fish will be an ocellaris clown. I have Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes and just bought PE Mysis pellets. I know that I'm supposed to feed my fish a wide variety of foods, just wanted to make sure the PE Mysis pellets were a solid choice. Additionally, what frozen food should i get? I was thinking just the san francisco bay frozen brine shrimp. I see this at my LFS for like $5 and I thought it would be nice to pick the fish up something different.

Last question- what should i feed each day (like the staple fish food) and how many times a week do i feed flakes,pellets,frozen?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine shrimp has almost zero nutritional value. I mix up a fish "smoothie". Buy several different frozen cubes like: cyclops, mysis, chopped clams, reef mix, etc. The more variety the better. Take one of each type and place into a tupperware. Let the cubes "slump" in the fridge. Pour off excess liquid. You can add vitamins like Selcon, Zoecon, Vitachem, etc. The mix will stay good in the fridge for several days. Your fish will love the "smoothie."

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, some quick questions about feeding. (i'm relatively new to the hobby!)

I have a 9g evo flex with 1 firefish and 1 cleaner shrimp in it so far. My next and last fish will be an ocellaris clown. I have Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes and just bought PE Mysis pellets. I know that I'm supposed to feed my fish a wide variety of foods, just wanted to make sure the PE Mysis pellets were a solid choice. Additionally, what frozen food should i get? I was thinking just the san francisco bay frozen brine shrimp. I see this at my LFS for like $5 and I thought it would be nice to pick the fish up something different.

Last question- what should i feed each day (like the staple fish food) and how many times a week do i feed flakes,pellets,frozen?
Hi mate, I can’t comment on your food brands I’m afraid as I’m over in the UK but I would stay away from brineshrimp as a sole frozen food. Whilst very palatable for the fish it holds very little nutritional value. Far better with frozen mysis or over in the UK we have something called Marine mix. This is a mixture of the commonly fed frozen foods and my fish love it. As for frequency with only 2 fish in the tank you won’t need to feed much. I would go for twice a day, flake or pellets in the morning or afternoon then frozen in the evening.

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine shrimp has almost zero nutritional value. I mix up a fish "smoothie". Buy several different frozen cubes like: cyclops, mysis, chopped clams, reef mix, etc. The more variety the better. Take one of each type and place into a tupperware. Let the cubes "slump" in the fridge. Pour off excess liquid. You can add vitamins like Selcon, Zoecon, Vitachem, etc. The mix will stay good in the fridge for several days. Your fish will love the "smoothie."

Can i thaw out frozen foods, then refreeze? I don't think just have 3 main eaters will be able to polish off that much!

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mate, I can’t comment on your food brands I’m afraid as I’m over in the UK but I would stay away from brineshrimp as a sole frozen food. Whilst very palatable for the fish it holds very little nutritional value. Far better with frozen mysis or over in the UK we have something called Marine mix. This is a mixture of the commonly fed frozen foods and my fish love it. As for frequency with only 2 fish in the tank you won’t need to feed much. I would go for twice a day, flake or pellets in the morning or afternoon then frozen in the evening.

okay great, i'll try and feed them pellets/frozen/flaakes daily!

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i thaw out frozen foods, then refreeze? I don't think just have 3 main eaters will be able to polish off that much!
Just get a sharp knife and cut a lump off to defrost then put the rest back in freezer.*

*can not be held responsible for loss of fingers and / or cube flying out from under the knife and going under the couch...

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay great, i'll try and feed them pellets/frozen/flaakes daily!
Pe pellets are great for pellets. Frozen is better if you are home. Frozen: Pe mysis is really good, hakari mysis is good for smaller fish, I had a horror story with SF bay mysis so I would recommend against buying that.

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pe pellets are great for pellets. Frozen is better if you are home. Frozen: Pe mysis is really good, hakari mysis is good for smaller fish, I had a horror story with SF bay mysis so I would recommend against buying that.

uh oh, whats the story? i don't think my LFS has frozen PE mysis!

sikorskys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine shrimp has almost zero nutritional value

Everybody say it. But...

FROZEN BRINE SHRIMP:
Crude Protein (min.) — 4.9%
Crude Fat (min.) — 0.1%
Crude Fiber (max.) — 0.8%

FROZEN MYSIS:
Crude Protein (min.) — 5.7%
Crude Fat (min.) — 0.1%
Crude Fiber (max.) — 0.2%

I wouldn't call it zero, it's just 15% difference.

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed only frozen foods. I alternate between hikari brine, spiraluna brine, mysis, plankton, along with LRS reef frenzy and herbivore

Purpletank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a sharp knife and cut a lump off to defrost then put the rest back in freezer.*

*can not be held responsible for loss of fingers and / or cube flying out from under the knife and going under the couch...
I shave off the amount needed then return then rest of the still frozen cube back to the freezer.

Joel Schommer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have SF Bay Mysis. Fish love it, if you don't mind what bad experience you have? Thanks,

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have SF Bay Mysis. Fish love it, if you don't mind what bad experience you have? Thanks,
It killed all my lps that I target fed with it. All my acans, blastos, even a war coral.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 51 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%

Back