Flame Angel seizures

Dorinda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I get up yesterday and my Flame Angel is at the top gasping for air. I tried to put a air stone in the tank for more oxygen and he went crazy. Flipping all over the place at the top of the tank. So I took it out. He calmed down and then was swimming fine. I went to feed the fish with the turkey baster and he was eating fine. Then a few seconds later he's flipping all over the place again!!.
Then he calms down and was swimming fine the rest of the night.
Then this moyi decided to put a pinch of flakes in the tank. Again, he's eating fine. Then a few seconds later he is flipping all over the place swimming in circles and gets stuck to the wave maker and then to the overflow box.
Now for the last 6 hours he's been swimming fine. Anyone know why?
Salinity 1024
Alk. 7.9
Calcium 500 (just got a new Hanna checker and I'm letting it fall)
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 6
Ammonia 0
Magnesium 1400 (again new Hanna checker and letting it fall)
Phosphate 0 ( trying to raise)
75 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump all other fish are fine. I have had him for a few .months now and he was the last fish or coral that was added.
Sorry for the long read but I know there would be lots of questions after the post. So I'm trying to cover everything.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea! Usually, when a person says their fish is "having a seizure" it is actually just agonal motion of a dying fish. They key to your situation is that the fish then feeds between bouts of this behavior. A dying, agonal fish will not do that. It does seem to be neurologic, but I cannot tell you what the cause might be. Are there other fish in the tank? How are they? How long have you had the angelfish?

Jay

OP
OP
Dorinda

Dorinda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea! Usually, when a person says their fish is "having a seizure" it is actually just agonal motion of a dying fish. They key to your situation is that the fish then feeds between bouts of this behavior. A dying, agonal fish will not do that. It does seem to be neurologic, but I cannot tell you what the cause might be. Are there other fish in the tank? How are they? How long have you had the angelfish?

Jay
I've had the Angel fish for about 3 months. I also have a yellow Tang, 2 wrasses, 2 clown fish, diamond back goby, watchman goby and pistol shrimp and snails. All are fine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I have no idea in this case....not even a guess.
Jay

OP
OP
Dorinda

Dorinda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your replies. I guess I'll just keep and eye on it. It did end up in the overflow box once. But everything has been fine since the post. So we will see.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back