Flame Angel suddenly dropped dead :(

k1ngofthrones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a week or two of worrying, my flame angel finally died :(. I thought he had velvet, but after a week he was still fine, just unusually reclusive. I used Herbtana on my tank and switched to high quality frozen brine shrimp, he became less reclusive and was normal for a few days, then went back to hiding for another several days until this morning I found him dead near a corner of the tank that he usually is never near. Why might he have died? Could it have been me stressing him out? He first became reclusive after I noticed some dots on his fins (which I thought to be velvet since my jawfish died quickly with a ton of dots on his body) so I tried to do a freshwater dip for my angel and couldn’t get him out of the cave he hides in.

72172919-A816-4E4E-ADEA-DEB8B56B9196.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
May be ich. In the future, as soon as you see any dots or other unusual, post pics under normal lighting with pics as clear as possible and you will get quick answers to cause and remedy.

SeaSickness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that you lost your fish. Did you happen to quarantine him when you first acquired him?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf Angels can be sensitive especially during acclimation. I feel that Dwarf Angels need foods high in marine algaes and or foods specifically designed for Angels.

OP
OP
K

k1ngofthrones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf Angels can be sensitive especially during acclimation. I feel that Dwarf Angels need foods high in marine algaes and or foods specifically designed for Angels.

I’ve had him for about three weeks, maybe it is the algae, I feed them some pretty cheap tropical fish flakes every few days which claims to have algae but other than that, there isn’t really any algae in my tank.

To answer the previous response, I did not quarantine him as I read that a one month quarantine period isn’t enough to get rid of any issues a new fish might have, plus my QT crashed so I just took extra time to acclimate him to my DT.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I also did not QT corectly and it has been a bad thing.
By your description it sounds like your fish have ICH.
Velvet is more of a film and kills far more quickly.

There is an excellent QT thread here on R2R.
I would study it with care and follow it precisely from this point forward.

If this is was ICH the DT is now contaminated, and should remain fishless for 72 days minimum to rid the parasite 100%.
Yes this is a pain but the only way to be sure you dont infect new fish and continue the cycle.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had him for about three weeks, maybe it is the algae, I feed them some pretty cheap tropical fish flakes every few days which claims to have algae but other than that, there isn’t really any algae in my tank.

To answer the previous response, I did not quarantine him as I read that a one month quarantine period isn’t enough to get rid of any issues a new fish might have, plus my QT crashed so I just took extra time to acclimate him to my DT.
You really should feed Angels daily at least. Mine eats 3 times a day, 2 types of pellet (one algae based), higher quality flakes and macro algae from my other tank. Ideally foods containing marine sponge as well.

OP
OP
K

k1ngofthrones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He didn’t have any more white spots on him when he died, is that common for ich? I will try to redo my QT. Also, I do feed my fish the frozen brine shrimp daily, only half a cube but there are a lot of leftovers for my cuc even after an hour, I just use the flakes every now and then to add a variety to their diet.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just meat base diet is not recommended for Angels. Need to add more natural foods like algae and sponge if able. Rods makes a good frozen.
The fish probably did have a disease process going on, but a better diet enhances their immune system.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 55 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 64 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 10 7.8%
Back