Flame angel with ich after 1.5 weeks of hyposalinity

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a flame angel with ich in my QT at 1.009 sg (checked with Hanna checker, and recalibrated as well).
After 1.5 weeks of hyposalinity, he still has visible ich on his body and fins. He also looks rough in general.
Is it possible for ich to remain a problem for so many days in 1.009?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a flame angel with ich in my QT at 1.009 sg (checked with Hanna checker, and recalibrated as well).
After 1.5 weeks of hyposalinity, he still has visible ich on his body and fins. He also looks rough in general.
Is it possible for ich to remain a problem for so many days in 1.009?

How sick was it going into hypo? Has it improved from that point?
Hypo is pretty slow to work, but generally fish will improve after this amount of time.
You say the fish looks rough in general - hos so? Multiple infections are not unheard of, maybe it has a secondary bacterial infection as well?
Can you post a pic/video?

Jay

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange thing is that he did improve initially. I did a FW dip and there was a bunch of, what looked like, Neobenedenia at the bottom of the container. But he also had/has definite ich spots. He improved during the first 4 days, no visible ich spots left. But then we went on holiday and my parents took care of all our animals while we were gone. So I don't know what he looked like the last 7 days. We just came back on he looks skinny with rough fins on his back. I'll snap a picture when the lights come on.

Now that I write this all down... I guess I'd better check the water parameters to see if they have been heavily over feeding while we were away. I left very very very clear instructions but you never know.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange thing is that he did improve initially. I did a FW dip and there was a bunch of, what looked like, Neobenedenia at the bottom of the container. But he also had/has definite ich spots. He improved during the first 4 days, no visible ich spots left. But then we went on holiday and my parents took care of all our animals while we were gone. So I don't know what he looked like the last 7 days. We just came back on he looks skinny with rough fins on his back. I'll snap a picture when the lights come on.

Now that I write this all down... I guess I'd better check the water parameters to see if they have been heavily over feeding while we were away. I left very very very clear instructions but you never know.

Well, Neobenedenia can be tough to treat, but 1.009 will work for that as well.
Let us know how the water checks out.

Jay

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are looking fine so at least I know that my parents can follow instructions ;)

photo_2023-10-17_13-24-49.jpg

photo_2023-10-17_13-24-40.jpg

And PH at 8.3 according to my seneye.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are looking fine so at least I know that my parents can follow instructions ;)

photo_2023-10-17_13-24-49.jpg

photo_2023-10-17_13-24-40.jpg

And PH at 8.3 according to my seneye.
O.K., looks good. Maybe the picture of the fish will show me something?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - I can see possible ich spots there. The fish does appear a bit thin.

I don’t see a strong reason to change up the treatment yet. When you say it has been in hypo for 10 days, was that 10 days at 1.009, or did it include the time needed to drop the specific gravity?

Jay

Sorry for the quality. Hard to photograph him.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - I can see possible ich spots there. The fish does appear a bit thin.

I don’t see a strong reason to change up the treatment yet. When you say it has been in hypo for 10 days, was that 10 days at 1.009, or did it include the time needed to drop the specific gravity?

Jay
I did notice that too. He wasn't that skinny when I left for our vacation.
Maybe my parents haven't been feeding enough. I always ask tank sitters to never ever feed too much so maybe they were afraid to give them the amount of food I prescribed. Back to the normal feeding routine today.

Actually, I just checked my calendar and he's been in 1.009 for 13 days already.
15 days since I started lowering it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back