Flame Angels prone to eye swelling?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted about this angel in the QT protocol thread once regarding a pectoral fin rotting away. It's in full copper, and I started dosing kanaplex. Treatment 2 of kanaplex was last night.

I also noticed one eye was swollen, which I missed in my video on the fin damage, but it is a little more noticeable and cloudy. I think its improved some already, but started searching to see if I should take any ither action.

Quickly upon searching, it almost sounds like this happens to all flame angels when theu are brought home, some accounts of all of the flame angels at an LFS had this issue. There are also a few claims of it swelled up, then got cloudy, then the other eye did the same over the week, and then both cleared up without treatment.

I think I am taking the correct approach, the fin appears to be doing way better already, he still has not been eating as well since I noticed the fin damage, but does eat a little bit.

Here is the original video for reference. You can just barely see one eye is bigger than the other here.

Just curious, is this a known common issue for this fish now?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I posted about this angel in the QT protocol thread once regarding a pectoral fin rotting away. It's in full copper, and I started dosing kanaplex. Treatment 2 of kanaplex was last night.

I also noticed one eye was swollen, which I missed in my video on the fin damage, but it is a little more noticeable and cloudy. I think its improved some already, but started searching to see if I should take any ither action.

Quickly upon searching, it almost sounds like this happens to all flame angels when theu are brought home, some accounts of all of the flame angels at an LFS had this issue. There are also a few claims of it swelled up, then got cloudy, then the other eye did the same over the week, and then both cleared up without treatment.

I think I am taking the correct approach, the fin appears to be doing way better already, he still has not been eating as well since I noticed the fin damage, but does eat a little bit.

Here is the original video for reference. You can just barely see one eye is bigger than the other here.

Just curious, is this a known common issue for this fish now?

Continue Kanaplex as there is slight protusion on eye but also noticeable injury/bacteria issues on fish particularly its back and fin. Kanaplex will address the eye and well as cloudiness and popeye. When one eye is affected, it is often from an injury/Physical damage. Often with this protrusion, other causes can be poor water quality, coming into contact with objects in the tank or organisms in the aquarium which may be bacterial or fungal from water.
Assure good water quality is maintained.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continue Kanaplex as there is slight protusion on eye but also noticeable injury/bacteria issues on fish particularly its back and fin. Kanaplex will address the eye and well as cloudiness and popeye. When one eye is affected, it is often from an injury/Physical damage. Often with this protrusion, other causes can be poor water quality, coming into contact with objects in the tank or organisms in the aquarium which may be bacterial or fungal from water.
Assure good water quality is maintained.
It had gotten worse since ghe video, about twice the size and looked white, but it has improved this morning.

Last night before second Kanaplex dose I did a 60% water change.

But I am curious if this is now known to be a common issue with flame angels after transport. There are so many threads out there from the last 20 years with the same thing on this fish. More than any other symptom/specific species, aside from maybe clowns and brook, and nonspecific tang and velvet/ich.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It had gotten worse since ghe video, about twice the size and looked white, but it has improved this morning.

But I am curious if this is now known to be a common issue with flame angels after transport. There are so many threads out there from the last 20 years with the same thing on this fish. More than any other symptom/specific species, aside from maybe clowns and brook, and nonspecific tang and velvet/ich.
I dont see this as common with flame angels however, during transport, often a fish can ingest air if bag falls sideways and develop this but unless it happened up front when fish was received, its often physical/mechanical damage and often heals. Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1 often more effective/quicker to heal but addressing the bacterial issue with Kanaplex should also address the eye

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve not noticed anything specific to flame angels. All angels and butterflies are prone to eye injuries, and those typically affect one eye at a time and often resolve on their own if not too severe.
Jay

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am on day 8 of 2.5 copper power, verifying with hannah HR, 3rd dose of kanaplex went in today. My gramma has some dark lines showing on its face, and the flame angel and flasher wrasse suddenly have a bunch of white spots all over them.

Should I be concerned? Trying to get a good picture as I type this, ill post the better of what I got. Flame angel is still not excited to eat mysis like it was, but is picking off rocks, and likes hakari herbavore pellets. Wrasse and gramma eat like pigs.

The popeye seems to be healing.

Attachments

• 20230817_175058.jpg
    20230817_175058.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230817_180429.jpg
    20230817_180429.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230817_175103.jpg
    20230817_175103.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230817_175050.jpg
    20230817_175050.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230817_175053.jpg
    20230817_175053.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else experience spread of ich while copper treatment is in progress?

I would love some feedback on whether I should just stay the course or make changes.

mxzx8004

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see this as common with flame angels however, during transport, often a fish can ingest air if bag falls sideways and develop this but unless it happened up front when fish was received, its often physical/mechanical damage and often heals. Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1 often more effective/quicker to heal but addressing the bacterial issue with Kanaplex should also address the eye
Hey there, sorry to hijack, we have a newer CB and it spent the first few days hiding in rocks. It started coming out after a week, our clowns really like it, however we noticed her pectoral fin was missing once she was coming out. We added a blue tang on Friday and it has really come out of the rocks since that addition, however her new fin looks "fleshy". I contacted my store and they essentially said "moving her to a hospital tank might stress her out more, it should stabalize". Is there anything I can treat the tank with (reef tank) that is safe for everyone that would help it?

Regards

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey there, sorry to hijack, we have a newer CB and it spent the first few days hiding in rocks. It started coming out after a week, our clowns really like it, however we noticed her pectoral fin was missing once she was coming out. We added a blue tang on Friday and it has really come out of the rocks since that addition, however her new fin looks "fleshy". I contacted my store and they essentially said "moving her to a hospital tank might stress her out more, it should stabalize". Is there anything I can treat the tank with (reef tank) that is safe for everyone that would help it?

Regards
Can you provide a pic under white lighting for best recommendation ?

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everythi g was going pretty good until day 19 of copper, cane home to temp reading of 86degrees, flame angel dead, blocked direct sunlight from tank turned heater down, big mistake woke up to dead royal gramma and wrasse appeared stress, temp was back up to 92, floated icepacks, wrasse was in bad shape, but looked better after cooling. Stopped eating, passed this korning after not eating for a couple days.

I suspect the earlier problems might have been the heater overheating the water but cooling down to 79 by the time I got home every day. Tested the heater today, set to 75, kicka on at 72, quickly gets to 80 or 90 before ******** off. Its only meant for a 20 and heats up way to quick, not consistently shutting off.

Never ever running a tank without a propper monitor ever again.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back