Flame Hawk Compatibility

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad, really sad.

It has been a tough week, this is kind of the icing on the cake. I don't want to go off topic so I will leave it at that.

Probably my favourite fish in the hobby.

Last edited:

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came home from work tonight and found my Flame Hawk on the floor:(. So depressing, such an awesome fish.
I am so very sorry to hear that, I just recently lost my flame hawk to a nasty internal parasite that I couldn't beat in time to save him. He was my absolute favorite fish of all time.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so very sorry to hear that, I just recently lost my flame hawk to a nasty internal parasite that I couldn't beat in time to save him. He was my absolute favorite fish of all time.

So sorry to hear about the losses! :(

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a different note, going to the LFS today and I'll let you know if I come back with something!

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a good size tail spot and a small starry Blenny. Love the look of the starry Blenny.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with a Starry Blenny! It is about 2" in length. Just put him in after acclimation.

I did already notice that my digitata had a mouth sized mark on it...

No issues before today, so I'm wondering if he took a bite out of it while exploring his new digs?

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False alarm. The polyps were just heavily retracted for about a half hour in one particular spot. Weird. It doesn't even do it for that long after my flame hawk perches on it...

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck w/ your Starry! Another of my fav fish! Ours was prob an inch and a half when we got him, now his is about 4 inches!

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an awesome fish! So far he has cleaned the brown hair algae off 3 of my snails and started munching on my conch. Haha. He also enjoyed Reef frenzy nano with the rest of my crew a couple hours ago. All fish are getting along well so far. *fingers crossed*

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are characters for sure! mine loves to eat Larry's fish frenzy, mysis and red/green seaweed. I think you should be fine as long as you have enough space and rocks for them to perch. Our starry loves to hang out in crevices all over the tank. He sleeps in a barancle cluster with my Disco blenny. Lol. Good luck w/ him!! Here is mine in his side of the barancle. ( sorry for the bad pic, I took a pic of the picture on my camera). Good luck with both fish.

image.jpg

Mike Yaniz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my flame hawk for a little over a year and he is super friendly and pretty funny fish. I have gobies and he has never messed with any of them. He enjoys sitting on top of my glass cleaner at the top of my tank. Truly a great fish to add.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my flame hawk for a little over a year and he is super friendly and pretty funny fish. I have gobies and he has never messed with any of them. He enjoys sitting on top of my glass cleaner at the top of my tank. Truly a great fish to add.

Good to hear they don't become aggressive over time like some fish. My flame hawk also likes to perch up high. He sits on top of my Gyre pump near the surface fairly often. He is quite a riot. Loves sitting on my digitata too.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my starry blenny!!

My Flame hawk and Starry gets along well. The hawk doesn't get along with my clowns, they are always bickering.

My tang chases after my starry blenny, however.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my starry blenny!!

My Flame hawk and Starry gets along well. The hawk doesn't get along with my clowns, they are always bickering.

My tang chases after my starry blenny, however.

The drama of stocking a tank... haha.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I love my Starry Blenny! He has a lot of personality and is a great eater.

One odd thing I've noticed is how much he poops compared to my other fish! Good grief! Just huge poops from this guy! Anybody else have that experience with Blennies?

fort wenty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to adding a flame hawk once the tank is settled. Everyone seems to have such good experiences with them.

Are they known jumpers?

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to adding a flame hawk once the tank is settled. Everyone seems to have such good experiences with them.

Are they known jumpers?

They certainly can be. I have a screen top on my tank for sure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back