Flame Hawk Compatibility

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a flame hawkfish in my 45 gallon tank. He is doing just great and gets along swimmingly with my mocha clowns.

I'm looking at other possible fish to add and I'm not sure if I should go with more semi-aggressive fish or if I could get some additional peaceful tank mates. My flame hawk is about 2.5 inches long so he isn't full grown and he has never laid a fin on my inverts. I still have all snails, my tiger conch, and cleaner shrimp. He definitely seems chill and not too territorial, but I worry that will change with a new addition.

If you have any experience keeping a flame hawk, let me know how it might get along with the following options:

- Midas Blenny
- Tail Spot Blenny
- Purple Firefish
- Coral Beauty
- Orchid Dottyback
- Blue Reef Chromis

Thank you all so much for your time!

Best Regards

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following: really like the Flame Hawkfish. So cool looking. I was thinking about adding one with my group of Firefish.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following: really like the Flame Hawkfish. So cool looking. I was thinking about adding one with my group of Firefish.

I hear they can be nasty with bottom dwelling species like gobies and dragonettes, so I'm curious about other's experience with firefish too...

But my hawkfish is by far my favorite fish I've had in personality and I love the deep red color!

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have had Bowser, my Flame Hawk for a little over 7 years and he has been nothing but a model citizen. Never bothered a crab, snail or shrimp and never harassed any fish to this day that he has been with. Just remember, every fish has their own personality . I think you should be fine with your fish list! Good luck with him! I hope you love yours as much as we love ours!

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have had Bowser, my Flame Hawk for a little over 7 years and he has been nothing but a model citizen. Never bothered a crab, snail or shrimp and never harassed any fish to this day that he has been with. Just remember, every fish has their own personality . I think you should be fine with your fish list! Good luck with him! I hope you love yours as much as we love ours!

Thanks for the insight. I absolutely love mine. Definitely one of my favorites!

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Flame Hawk as well, probably my favorite fish. He is slightly aggressive during feeding time but it is minor, the other fish just kind of ignore him and continue with their meal. He is currently in with a pair of Ocellaris, a lawnmower Blenny, a sixline and an Azure Damsel. He does not bother crabs or snails at all.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Flame Hawk as well, probably my favorite fish. He is slightly aggressive during feeding time but it is minor, the other fish just kind of ignore him and continue with their meal. He is currently in with a pair of Ocellaris, a lawnmower Blenny, a sixline and an Azure Damsel. He does not bother crabs or snails at all.

Good to hear about the Blenny. I really want a tail spot or starry Blenny for algae grazing but was worried about adding another rock perching fish.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear about the Blenny. I really want a tail spot or starry Blenny for algae grazing but was worried about adding another rock perching fish.

Likely depends on tank size. My tank is only 66g and I have two main rock structures. Sometimes there is a quick chase here and there but again, nothing of concern. I wouldn't try it in a real small tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange spot blenny and starry blenny are aggressive to my flame hawks. I have always found flame hawks to always be pretty peaceful to other fish.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a tail spot would be a good choice then? Since they tend to be more tame than starry or lawnmower?

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame hawk (Deadpool) is absolutely one of my favorite fish. The only problem I have ever had with him is that he insists on exploring outside of the tank. I have picked him up off of the floor at least a dozen times and that is in a tank with a screen top. I have no clue how he gets out but somehow he does.
I have never had problems with any of my fish including various blennies over the years.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just asked the owner of my LFS this same question yesterday. He said that the flame hawk would be fine but stay away from the spotted hawk.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just asked the owner of my LFS this same question yesterday. He said that the flame hawk would be fine but stay away from the spotted hawk.
I agree with that completely. Spotted hawks are considerably more aggressive.

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a starry blenny as well and he was tiny when I put him in. My Flame never looked twice at him. He just swims and perches where ever he feels. Starry's have great personalities too!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Falco's can be holy terrors. Killers!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back