Flame hawk fish distressed, sick?

chipevans22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and saltwater world, I have had my tank running for about a month. Recently added a flame hawk fish, clown, damsel, goby, and v. puffer to my tank. All of my levels read fine. I purchased the hawk fish about two days ago and he seemed fine from the start. Now he is basically immobile and seems to be breathing rapidly and with some sort of wound/infection and is discolored? I have only seen him eat one or two pellets and is not interested in the freeze dried brine shrimp I tried today. I am not sure what may be wrong and any assistance would be greatly appreciated. All of my other fish seem normal.

video:
https://youtube.com/shorts/YXLNeRYgIkw?feature=share

1620241223227.png

Last edited:

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing very fast. Definitely stressed. With the info provided my guess would be other fish bothering him such as the Damsel or Clown. You may want to turn down lights and observe what is going on.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flamehawks are not timid imo. mine doesn't care about any other fish. if ur's hiding like this then he is definitely stressed. can u get live worms? that should get him more interested.
if u have an online camera that u can use to observe him from a distance then use that to see if he comes out or is getting bullied.

OP
OP
C

chipevans22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing very fast. Definitely stressed. With the info provided my guess would be other fish bothering him such as the Damsel or Clown. You may want to turn down lights and observe what is going on.
sounds good, I have turned the lights off for about 4 hours now. He's moved behind the rock where I cant see him but I figure i wont bother him for a bit. Do you think it looks like some sort of cut?

OP
OP
C

chipevans22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flamehawks are not timid imo. mine doesn't care about any other fish. if ur's hiding like this then he is definitely stressed. can u get live worms? that should get him more interested.
if u have an online camera that u can use to observe him from a distance then use that to see if he comes out or is getting bullied.
I'm sure I can find something at the petco near me. I havent seen him really get bullied, other than the damsel coming into his hiding space and then the hawkfish would chase him out (first day). Doesn't seem to chase him out anymore either. I will set up my dog came tonight and see how everything plays out. The damsel I have does seem to be alittle aggressive towards my other fish.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the employees at petco are brain dead someone said that 6 cories (nano catfish) in a 40 breeder freshwater with a 75-110 gallon filter was overstocked

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is a lot of fish for a tank barely cycled and likely you have spikes occurring and low oxygen saturation.
You say all of your levels read fine. Can you provide numbers? Also , if youre using API test kits, you are likely getting false readings and need to get a water sample to a TRUSTED store that does NOT use API test kits and see what readings they come up with.
In the meantime, do a slight water change and increase oxygen with an airstone/pump combo.
Also , please provide clearer pics of the blemish on its skin as it is ASSUMED a bite. Can be an injury or even bacterial.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
ugh, I am ashamed that I did not do enough research, some tools said they were compatible. Would a larger tank help?
No shame. . . Puffers are not going to nip a fish because it favors a rock. Overcrowding would make more sense for this behavior as would aggressive behavior. Is puffer a problem?
Place your phone on video mode and place in front of tank and walk away. Drop a LITTLE food beforehand. YOU MUST WALK AWAY.
Come back in an hour and review video and you will know if aggression is an issue

OP
OP
C

chipevans22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a lot of fish for a tank barely cycled and likely you have spikes occurring and low oxygen saturation.
You say all of your levels read fine. Can you provide numbers? Also , if youre using API test kits, you are likely getting false readings and need to get a water sample to a TRUSTED store that does NOT use API test kits and see what readings they come up with.
In the meantime, do a slight water change and increase oxygen with an airstone/pump combo.
Also , please provide clearer pics of the blemish on its skin as it is ASSUMED a bite. Can be an injury or even bacterial.
Thank you, I will attempt to get a clearer pic, ones he comes out from behind the rock. I figured I would let him relax for a bit. I will see if there are any other saltwater stores near me other than petco, this is where I have gotten four readings from, they never provided me the actual numbers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chipevans22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, the fish has passed. I have found what seems to be a reputable saltwater store in my area, I will plan on getting my levels checked there tomorrow. I will do a 10% water change right now and go from there. I may ship the damsel off to my buddy who has a 75g tank.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, the fish has passed. I have found what seems to be a reputable saltwater store in my area, I will plan on getting my levels checked there tomorrow. I will do a 10% water change right now and go from there. I may ship the damsel off to my buddy who has a 75g tank.
ahh sorry to hear that. flame hawkfish are very hardy generally. mine survived 2 ich outbreaks. may be I got lucky. if you plan to get one again then consider a quarantine regimen. get it eating n fatten it up in QT. use acclimation box and see how other fish react to the new fish.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 57 44.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back