Flame hawk fish in reef with shrimp

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi. Does anyone have any experience with a small Flame Hawkfish in a reef tank with corals and inverts. I have 3 peppermint shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, 1 banded coral shrimp. Will they be ok since the shrimp were added first? I'd like to hear your stories!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had an issue with flame hawks and inverts, though others have had them eat inverts. Having the shrimp in the tank first, and starting with a smaller flame hawk should help limit issues.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one, never bothered the shrimp. But ate all my hermits...:confused:

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my flame hawkfish with cleaner and CBS for about 7 months and they leave each other alone. then again, the shrimps are just as big as he is
Yea my flame hawk is smaller than my shrimp. He's a little guy

IMG_0405.JPG

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he's too cute!

I love my flame hawk. He has a lot of personality and one my friends point out in the tank first.

I tried to post a funny video of him. I got a new gramma that was on edge and opened his mouth at my flame hawk. He just turned around and swam off

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him in there? What about fire shrimp. He's awesome and was $25 so that would be an expensive meal
the shrimp were all pretty big. Had to get him out, he wouldn't stop eating the hermits... I had a blood shrimp in there too. Never bothered with him.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any flame hawk bother any inverts at all, not even hermits or snails. I have had some large ones, too.

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any flame hawk bother any inverts at all, not even hermits or snails. I have had some large ones, too.
Good to hear. These are the answers I was hoping for. I'm gonna keep him and move him from QT to my DT. He's amazing so I'm gonna try it

Bigfishy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend added flame hawk to her tank. The hawk did good and did not bother her shrimp. As the hawk started to grow things were sill ok. The one day after the hawk got big he went to town and started eating her shrimp. She still had the hawk but no longer has the shrimps. She had a couple of cleaner shrimps a coral bandit and a dark red shrimp. Good luck but I would not do it if you like your shrimp.

pacman14808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an arc eye hawk fish and it destroys my crabs. Leaves the snails all e but red and blue legs are not safe. Empty shells and half eaten bodies every where.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 Hawkfish in three tanks. Never bothered any inverts or snails. The oldest is going on 4 years.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back