Flame Hawk Pair

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my favourite fish for a long time is the flame hawk. Mostly because it’s a terrible swimmer and it loves looking at me. Most people that see my tank thinks it’s cute for those 2 reasons. Something I’ve wanted to do for a while but there isn’t too much information on a Flame Hawk pair. I know to get a much smaller Hawk but beyond that I’m not sure of the potential risks etc. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair off of Liveaquaria divers den back in 2019. Not sure if they were a natural pair but one is slightly smaller. They don't always hang out together. I believe the male will chase the female every now and then. Playful chasing, nothing aggressive. I love my pair.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted to get a “companion” for my Flame Hawkfish, but I have no idea if mine is male or female. With my luck I’d end up with two males...

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted to get a “companion” for my Flame Hawkfish, but I have no idea if mine is male or female. With my luck I’d end up with two males...
From what I know of Flame Hawks, they are the opposite of sequential hermaphroditism that clownfish exhibit. A large flame Hawk will always be a male so if yours is large, I’d be pretty confident that a small one would be female. But, as I said above I’m not too sure of the behaviours between a prospective pair.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair off of Liveaquaria divers den back in 2019. Not sure if they were a natural pair but one is slightly smaller. They don't always hang out together. I believe the male will chase the female every now and then. Playful chasing, nothing aggressive. I love my pair.
That sounds awesome. When they do hang out together; other than chasing what other behaviours have you observed?

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would advise buying a mated pair off Liveaquira. they come up pretty often in the divers den for like 80$ for the pair. As to tank mates i would be wary as alot of people on here had their hawks kill tank mates such as cardinals

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would advise buying a mated pair off Liveaquira. they come up pretty often in the divers den for like 80$ for the pair. As to tank mates i would be wary as alot of people on here had their hawks kill tank mates such as cardinals
I envy Liveaquaria. I live in Australia and where I live, I can’t buy off of any online sites due to shipping concerns so I’m confined to taking the chance of buying a single Hawk for my established Hawk. Would you say their behaviour changes once a pair is established? Also, my upcoming tank I plan on having a Moorish Idol, a Longnose Butterfly, 2 clowns and a Blue Tang. He’s already in the tank with 2 clowns and the tang and they get on well. I’d hate for that to change in the future.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds awesome. When they do hang out together; other than chasing what other behaviours have you observed?
Nothing really out of the ordinary. I wish I could see breeding behavior but I don't know if they've ever bred in captivity before. They just look at me and swim near me expecting food.
Also, my upcoming tank I plan on having a Moorish Idol, a Longnose Butterfly, 2 clowns and a Blue Tang. He’s already in the tank with 2 clowns and the tang and they get on well. I’d hate for that to change in the future.
That sounds like a Finding Nemo themed tank lol

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really out of the ordinary. I wish I could see breeding behavior but I don't know if they've ever bred in captivity before. They just look at me and swim near me expecting food.

That sounds like a Finding Nemo themed tank lol
I think you’re right with breeding. If people could breed Flame Hawks, you’d be rich. Maybe one day lol. I think I’ll try it soon. From what you’ve told me they sound somewhat similar to clown pairs but obviously not as clingy.

Lol I didn’t even realise that they’re just very cool fish but I might as well take on that new label hahah. To be fair I might’ve done that unconsciously because I bought the tang and clowns first so big coincidence there. Might put a Baracuda and a Great white shark in there to finish it off lol.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine loves the cardinal.

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I envy Liveaquaria. I live in Australia and where I live, I can’t buy off of any online sites due to shipping concerns so I’m confined to taking the chance of buying a single Hawk for my established Hawk. Would you say their behaviour changes once a pair is established? Also, my upcoming tank I plan on having a Moorish Idol, a Longnose Butterfly, 2 clowns and a Blue Tang. He’s already in the tank with 2 clowns and the tang and they get on well. I’d hate for that to change in the future.
Don’t be too sad, everything online is extremely overpriced.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size is your tank, they are territorial.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my favourite fish for a long time is the flame hawk. Mostly because it’s a terrible swimmer and it loves looking at me. Most people that see my tank thinks it’s cute for those 2 reasons. Something I’ve wanted to do for a while but there isn’t too much information on a Flame Hawk pair. I know to get a much smaller Hawk but beyond that I’m not sure of the potential risks etc. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I had a flame hawk pair before an MP40 killed the female. They are one of my favorite gish lots of personality, just beware that if you have any kind of shrimp or crab they will slowly start eating them. When i added the pair the two cleaner shrimp i had didnt last a day.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flame hawk pair before an MP40 killed the female. They are one of my favorite gish lots of personality, just beware that if you have any kind of shrimp or crab they will slowly start eating them. When i added the pair the two cleaner shrimp i had didnt last a day.
Oh I’m very sorry you lost your female. Always hard losing a fish, especially when it’s so quirky and full of personality. It’s funny you say that because I know a few people have said they won’t touch their shrimp. Nonetheless I don’t think I’ll take the risk of introducing any kind of shrimp or crab in case it does become lunch because I also know some Flame Hawks can be rather moody with certain fish/inverts as well.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never once owned a crab but have always been pretty interested. If I put an emerald crab in my tank, what would the chances be of my Flamr Hawk eating it?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never once owned a crab but have always been pretty interested. If I put an emerald crab in my tank, what would the chances be of my Flamr Hawk eating it?
From my experience they dont go after emerald crabs, i have an emerald crab and everytime a fish gets close he immediately gets in defensive position.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience they dont go after emerald crabs, i have an emerald crab and everytime a fish gets close he immediately gets in defensive position.
Lol I don’t know whether that would be funny or stressful to watch. Some of my fish have no concept of personal space so I might be worried.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back