Flame Hawkfish behavior

VictoryBell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a flame hawk for about 5 months and noticed she has some strange behavior in the evening. Around the same time every night she darts around the tank and hovers near the top kind of like...hovering near the top, darts away, hovers near the to; repeat. This goes on for a maybe 20 minutes and then she goes back to her normal perching and hopping from place to place behavior. Is it like...a thing these fish do? (Sort of like how cats get the evening crazies.) No one else acts out of the ordinary, when I test my parameters every week things are normal, and the tank has been running for almost two years. I’m starting to think she’s just goofy.

Has anyone ever had a hawkfish that did this?

24/7ReeFTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spotted hawkfish I’ve had for 3 months now and does that all the time. He likes to perch upright in the corners of my tank and on my mag float. He swims back and forth quickly. It seems pretty normal to me.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feed in that location it might be a reason for this behavior. If it is in the evening are the lights lowing for the evening or are flow patterns changing? Lights in the room of the tank change? Could be a response to the fish seeing its reflection or it might just be a random behavior.

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have one to an it is called Pom Pom for the ones on his dorsal fin an never swims always sits

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never used an auto feeder.

I never did either, but that didn't stop my Solar Wrasse from adopting a 'begging puppy' posture as soon as 11:30 rolled around. My point is, fish will adopt a schedule if introduced to strong enough stimuli, and will continue that schedule for years, even when the pattern of the original stimulus has changed. I fed my wrasse at 11:30 every day for two years straight, then switched shifts to where I was feeding him at 1:30 am. (The time I got home) On my days off, I noted he would STILL swim up to the top at exactly 11:30.

OP
OP
VictoryBell

VictoryBell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So judging from the replies, I think I have inadvertently conditioned her behavior. () She does start it around the time I usually feed the tank in the evening. The thought that she might be “begging” crossed my mind but I wasn’t sure.

Fishnfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does that all of the time. I think it's just normal behavior for them. It's funny to watch. I comment on it all of the time.

RonSwanson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hawk does that. He goes randomly to the top in the evening and then darts down and perches. Normal evening behavior. I feed them at random times so has nothing to do with feeding habits for my fish. This fish is definitely a stalker. I got him to observe his interesting behavior but the flame watches you back. The owner is being watched by a little marine red devil ALL the time. He never sleeps.

Back