Flame Hawkfish Dying!!! Need Help!!!

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame hawkfish has always swam normal. He like to sit on top of my return nozzle. He was fine yesterday swimming about. But today he sat under a rock all day and never came out. I just pushed him out from under the rock to find out that he can NOT swim upwards. If I lift him up, he just falls right down to the sand. He keeps tipping over on his side and catching himself to stand himself back up. He keeps doing this repeatedly. This happened overnight. What is wrong with him?!?!

Pic below

IMG_3997.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had this fish, and has it been eating? Kind of looks pinched in the middle, like cyanide captured.

Edit: sorry that it’s not well. :confused-face:

OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had this fish, and has it been eating? Kind of looks pinched in the middle, like cyanide captured.

Edit: sorry that it’s not well. :confused-face:
He has this one white spot near his tail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 51

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And not sure when and what order the pictures here taken but it looks like he is more red in the one with his tail

OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish do you have in the tank?
Niger trigger (VERY nice fish) even lets me pet him. I’ve never seen him pick in anyone. Pink skunk clown, yellow diamond sand goby, cardinal fish, sea hare, horseshoe crab, turbo snail

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A methylene blue bath might help but let’s see what the pros say @Humblefish etc….
Humblefish is not on here and I see in one pic an injury but not one that contributes to the behavior described. In the first pic, the fish appears to be quite weak.
A video under white intensity will be more helpful in assessment. methylene blue not the best choice while it can treat wounds and no medication should be given until proper assessment is made.
Is fish eating or attempting to?
Is it breathing normal or labored?
Again . . . . a video will be more helpful to properly assess the condition of the flame

OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish is not on here and I see in one pic an injury but not one that contributes to the behavior described. In the first pic, the fish appears to be quite weak.
A video under white intensity will be more helpful in assessment. methylene blue not the best choice while it can treat wounds and no medication should be given until proper assessment is made.
Again . . . . a video will be more helpful to properly assess the condition of the flame
Seems to be breathing normal, maybe even a little better since I added the air stone in my tank. As you can see in the video, he’s trying to prop himself up and prevent himself from tipping over slowly as seen in the video. Also, he has always eaten normally. He was eating fine yesterday. But he didn’t really come out to eat today. I tried to direct feed him a little while ago, but he showed no interest. Also, not sure if this matters… but regularly, he is ALWAYS moving his eyes back and forth looking around. I have not seen his eyes move a muscle one time today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be breathing normal, maybe even a little better since I added the air stone in my tank. As you can see in the video, he’s trying to prop himself up and prevent himself from tipping over slowly as seen in the video. Also, he has always eaten normally. He was eating fine yesterday. But he didn’t really come out to eat today. I tried to direct feed him a little while ago, but he showed no interest. Also, not sure if this matters… but regularly, he is ALWAYS moving his eyes back and forth looking around. I have not seen his eyes move a muscle

OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured out the video

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Figured out the video
I counted 55 breaths in the 24 seconds of video suggesting over 100 breaths. The fish seems to be lethargic and is balancing in the current and I hate to say but appears to be becoming moribund in which it likely will not eat or swim normally and continue to weaken. Air stone was a good addition and often many ask about chance of recovery. There has been a Low percentile of fish that recover but you will know in morning if its hanging in there yet.
As for any medication or supplement, there is nothing that can be recommended to boost its energy.
Possible causes are the injury itself, flukes, crashing into object as examples

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back