flame scallop hanging open by foot half up glass hours after lights out

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CRAZY !! Anyone else ever have/see/heard of this below?!

I turned on my tank light to quickly double check my tank temperature, and I caught my flame scallop hanging wide open by its foot, halfway up glass - reminding me of some overly drunken party reveler hanging off light pole, shirtless and perky wearing marti gras beads!!! My flame scallop is always under a rock with its 'whiskers' out, doing calm family style filter feeding. Filter feeding was at a WHOLE DIFFERENT LEVEL tonight. I've a peppermint and skunk shrimp that never ever seem to sleep (day or night) so that scallop should know there is no 'safe' time in aquarium (though... fish are sleeping).

After catching it, I turned light back off, ran to find camera, came back and turned light back on only to find it completely closed lying on the sand bottom as if I imagined the whole experience... "nothing going on here... lol"

Not until tonight did I know my flame scallop has a wild side! Do they all? Do I need to do this sneak nighttime check to catch this on camera?

Why do I feel like the parent just catching my teenager up to no good?! If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it could open that much and do what it did... wow... think I have some phyto I will put in there for it right now... maybe it is extra hungry... maybe it is crazy... but I'm no longer worrying about tank temperature tonight - its getting hot in there - LOL - curious if this is normal flame scallop behavior and I just sleep thru it...

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still can't believe what I saw last night...

Searching the internet, instead of what I call foot, it is more correct to say it attaches to objects with byssal threads. I can't find anything that says they are nocturnal... perhaps it is more like my shrimp that perpetually seem to be awake.

I’m amazed that it’s even alive…don’t know anyone that has been able to keep them long term.

Scallops are filter feeders, diet is no different than clam's diet. I culture and feed pods, so I'm sure it catches and eats those just like everything else in my tanks. I also LOVE that red Piscine Energetics calanus (which is just another type of pods lol). I also shave PE mysis, LRS and other foods and when I find frozen rotifers at my LFS I bring those home for my small fish and scallop.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I turned on my tank light to quickly double check my tank temperature, and I caught my flame scallop hanging wide open by its foot, halfway up glass - reminding me of some overly drunken party reveler hanging off light pole, shirtless and perky wearing marti gras beads!!! My flame scallop is always under a rock with its 'whiskers' out, doing calm family style filter feeding. Filter feeding was at a WHOLE DIFFERENT LEVEL tonight. I've a peppermint and skunk shrimp that never ever seem to sleep (day or night) so that scallop should know there is no 'safe' time in aquarium (though... fish are sleeping).

After catching it, I turned light back off, ran to find camera, came back and turned light back on only to find it completely closed lying on the sand bottom as if I imagined the whole experience... "nothing going on here... lol"

Not until tonight did I know my flame scallop has a wild side! Do they all? Do I need to do this sneak nighttime check to catch this on camera?

Why do I feel like the parent just catching my teenager up to no good?! If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it could open that much and do what it did... wow... think I have some phyto I will put in there for it right now... maybe it is extra hungry... maybe it is crazy... but I'm no longer worrying about tank temperature tonight - its getting hot in there - LOL - curious if this is normal flame scallop behavior and I just sleep thru it...

Thoughts?
Have long has flame scallop been in your system? I have never been able to keep them longer than 2yrs. This one is 1 month in tank. Yes, I have seen him use his foot to climb glass wall, then attach holdfast threads. Not sure about opening soo wide. A friend who lived in Tampa Bay witnessed a migration of Bay Scallops hopping along on the sandy bottom.

As far as spying on the tank, I often use a red led to sneak view when lights are out.

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have long has flame scallop been in your system? I have never been able to keep them longer than 2yrs. This one is 1 month in tank. Yes, I have seen him use his foot to climb glass wall, then attach holdfast threads. Not sure about opening soo wide. A friend who lived in Tampa Bay witnessed a migration of Bay Scallops hoping on the sandy bottom.

As far as spying on the tank, I often use a red led to sneak view when lights are out.

image.jpg

In fairness I've only had it about +/- 3 months, but I had selected a sickly looking one from LFS because my intention with it was to be very expensive food for something else... It was ignored and instead its been fattening up, looking more 'meaty' inside (shell seems same size). If I'd have expected it to live, yours is much prettier species all red, while mine has white 'fringes' and red body. LOVE your photo!!

Bet that migration was mind blowing sight to witness.

I love watching mine scoot quickly around, not that I catch it swimming too often. I've been getting more attached to it and after last night... well, now my scallop definitely has my attention

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I congratulate anyone that has been able to maintain them for more than a few months.
I’ve had saltwater tanks since 1973… I like to say that “I have a reef tank…it doesn’t have me”.
Anything that requires ‘specialized’ care, is not for me!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Thoughts?
These are not long lived and are delicate filter feeders and hanging open (as with a clam) is not a good sign

OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH NO - now I am so sad...
These are not long lived and are delicate filter feeders and hanging open (as with a clam) is not a good sign

I did find the filter was off... and it would have been off all night if I hadn't gotten up to check temperature so perhaps it was just reaction to equipment off...

Now I'm going to be worried about it...

OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hilarious

Well, at least I don't need to put warning sticker on the glass to keep my kid away

R rating movie symbol.png

Instead I just need to remember to turn filter back on after feeding... Maybe timely resuming filter will clear this whole thing up and I don't need to take yoga classes because my scallop is WAY more flexible than me...

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I've seen mine hang from the glass before. . . think it liked the current in that location. It look pretty weird just hanging there so I nudged it off the glass and now it's back to a "normal" position.

Here is a nearly photo realistic artistic representation of what mine looked like:

scallop.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've seen mine hang from the glass before. . . think it liked the current in that location. It look pretty weird just hanging there so I nudged it off the glass and now it's back to a "normal" position.

Here is a nearly photo realistic artistic representation of what mine looked like:

scallop.png

GREAT IMAGE!! You are very talented.

That above represents half of what was going on... now imagine that shell opened ALL the way so both halves are laying flat on the glass, body hanging out... that was mine 9 hours ago. It was so so so weird!

OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures or it never happened
I was going to comment the exact same but wasn’t sure of how appropriate it would be in conjunction with my Mardi Gras scallop comment

voyeurs ... all of you ... poor scallop... but what does that say about ME?! I wanted photo, too!!! At least my scallop is back to being family friendly since filter is back on... hoping it stays healthy and cause was just filter off

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
voyeurs ... all of you ... poor scallop... but what does that say about ME?! I wanted photo, too!!! At least my scallop is back to being family friendly since filter is back on... hoping it stays healthy and cause was just filter off
Scallop needs a reminder to keep things pg even after the lights go out

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fairness I've only had it about +/- 3 months, but I had selected a sickly looking one from LFS because my intention with it was to be very expensive food for something else... It was ignored and instead its been fattening up, looking more 'meaty' inside (shell seems same size). If I'd have expected it to live, yours is much prettier species all red, while mine has white 'fringes' and red body. LOVE your photo!!

Bet that migration was mind blowing sight to witness.

I love watching mine scoot quickly around, not that I catch it swimming too often. I've been getting more attached to it and after last night... well, now my scallop definitely has my attention
The flame scallops from Caribbean are all red and easier to care for than electric flame scallops. In the same 75G tank, I received a damaged Sea Apple one year ago and have finally got him to feeding on frozen mysis shrimp & clam feast. He travels where he wants to go very similar to flame scallop.

PS: I had to pivot large live rock to see scallop. After looking in detail, I have two scallops side by side in vertical plane. The second scallop is more than 4 years old in this tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 44

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a damaged Sea Apple one year ago and have finally got him to feeding on frozen mysis shrimp & clam feast. He travels where he wants to go very similar to flame scallop.
Sea apples can ‘Nuke’ your tank…

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 71 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back