OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have come to the realization that whoever said I was doing something horribly wrong needs a cookie for being correct

I'm a dummy and have been overthinking and therefor making my filter setup useless.

The tank is a biocube 16 and it has a 3 part filtration area
where it overflows from 1 to 2 and goes to 3 through a sponge at the bottom.

That sponge gets clogged easily and makes 3rd chamber level drop to the point where it is pumping bubbles and air and is also a literal pain to clean if you have decently sized arms as the gap between the false back and the real back is barely big enough to squeeze my arm down without bruising it

My solution for the longest time has just been keeping my tank levels higher so it barely overflows from chamber 2 to the pump and use chamber 2 as a makeshift fuge which worked for the while

Eventually tho all the light chaeto got sucked over the edge and the rest got sucked into the sponge and melted into a green paste

I cleaned the sponge the best I could as I do not believe it comes out and took what was left of the chaeto out and into chamber 1. Now chamber 2 is properly doing it's job with 2 seperate layers of walmart plush polyfill

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV is the best way to keep the phyto from reproducing. I'm not sure of another way outside of a blackout period. There's really no other sure thing solution that wont impact other inhabitants that I'm aware of. I've had this happen and have the experience here. Not saying there's no other solution, but others didn't work for me.

OP
OP
M

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV is the best way to keep the phyto from reproducing. I'm not sure of another way outside of a blackout period. There's really no other sure thing solution that wont impact other inhabitants that I'm aware of. I've had this happen and have the experience here. Not saying there's no other solution, but others didn't work for me.
If it still persists after I get my nutrients to normal levels and survives a blackout I will definitely then start looking at uv at that point

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it still persists after I get my nutrients to normal levels and survives a blackout I will definitely then start looking at uv at that point
Since you're not keen on using aUV generally, I'd recommend the Green Killing Machine. It's what it was made for. The larger of the two models worked for me on a 50G. Water changes offered only temporary relief and the nutrients would just stay bottomed out no matter what. It was a real pain.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back