New flame angel aggressive to established clowns.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a new flame angel to my 75 gallon and it’s taken a dislike to my clowns and seems to be trying to evict them from their flowerpot. It’s not all the time, but it’s nipping fins and occasionally chasing them around.

Is there anything to do other than:

A: Remove the jerk fish. Not ideal as I don’t have anywhere else to put him
B: Try add hiding places

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding places. Flame angels can be jerks to other fish as well as coral too(nipping) but with the fish they usually aren’t one of those relentless aggressive fish like for eg. Tangs

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I added a new flame angel to my 75 gallon and it’s taken a dislike to my clowns and seems to be trying to evict them from their flowerpot. It’s not all the time, but it’s nipping fins and occasionally chasing them around.

Is there anything to do other than:

A: Remove the jerk fish. Not ideal as I don’t have anywhere else to put him
B: Try add hiding places
once in a while you get a flame that's the devil. Isolate in either an acclimation box or sump for 10-14 days which should calm it down

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame has tons of hiding spots and still sometimes starts trouble with my female maroon clown and she's as big as he is. If yours is getting it badly you may have to rehome. Also mine can retreat to their nems if needed so that might help.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mirror on the side wall opposite of the clowns?
I’ve seen things about mirrors, but haven’t paid it much attention until now as I’ve had zero aggression issues until now…

Does the mirror go inside or outside the tank? If inside any specific types?

Location: The clowns live in the back right corner (looking at the tank). Do you mean put the mirror in the front right corner, or somewhere on the left side?

Hiding places. Flame angels can be jerks to other fish as well as coral too(nipping) but with the fish they usually aren’t one of those relentless aggressive fish like for eg. Tangs

Time to get more terracotta pots… I’ve also chucked a couple of PVC T-joints in as an emergency measure. I’ve also put a nem in (this has been a plan for a while now, independent of the current issue, just brought it forward a bit because of it.

once in a while you get a flame that's the devil. Isolate in either an acclimation box or sump for 10-14 days which should calm it down
I’ll see what I can work out for this. The sump isn’t particularly well set up for this. Have to look into acclimation boxes - I haven’t used one before.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - this is the prime real estate they’re fighting over:

IMG_0515.jpeg

/the rest of the tank looks better…

Here’s the baby nem just added:

IMG_0516.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen things about mirrors, but haven’t paid it much attention until now as I’ve had zero aggression issues until now…

Does the mirror go inside or outside the tank? If inside any specific types?

Location: The clowns live in the back right corner (looking at the tank). Do you mean put the mirror in the front right corner, or somewhere on the left side?

Time to get more terracotta pots… I’ve also chucked a couple of PVC T-joints in as an emergency measure. I’ve also put a nem in (this has been a plan for a while now, independent of the current issue, just brought it forward a bit because of it.

I’ll see what I can work out for this. The sump isn’t particularly well set up for this. Have to look into acclimation boxes - I haven’t used one before.
Outside the tank opposite of where the clowns are.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back