I left the power off for 4 hours what do i do??

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon with two clownfish. It has been running a little over three months. I turned everything off earlier in order to add some copepods. It was just easier to turn the main switch off. I was also acclimating some shrimp for my other tank and completely forgot to turn everything back on. The clownfish were laying in the corner when I came in. I tested for ammonia and put an air stone in. They are swimming around now. Temperature dropped to 74. Are they going to be okay? Anything else I should do?

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turn it back on; you should be fine.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't stress it too much. I've had power outages longer than that. Unless you have some huge clowns jammed into that 20.
OK. Thanks. They are a pair of orange storm clownfish. Are they too big? I had to move from my other tank because they started bullying my goby and killed my blenny, allegedly. Don't know if i should have went bigger.

Tarantula424

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Thanks. They are a pair of orange storm clownfish. Are they too big? I had to move from my other tank because they started bullying my goby and killed my blenny, allegedly. Don't know if i should have went bigger.
Nice, I can understand why you would be worried. I still think they'll be ok.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I leave the air stone on for a while or is the return pump and skimmer enough?
Based on what I know, you will be fine with the skimmer being enough. It won't hurt to leave the air stone on for a while. If it gives you peace of mind, then leave it on for a while.

I have historically had the power go down for a lot longer than 4 hours, and everything was fine. I now have a generator backup and battery backup - the battery backup bridges a couple of minutes between when the commercial power fails, and the generator warms up prior to the house switching over to the generator power.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%

Back