I left the power off for 4 hours what do i do??

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon with two clownfish. It has been running a little over three months. I turned everything off earlier in order to add some copepods. It was just easier to turn the main switch off. I was also acclimating some shrimp for my other tank and completely forgot to turn everything back on. The clownfish were laying in the corner when I came in. I tested for ammonia and put an air stone in. They are swimming around now. Temperature dropped to 74. Are they going to be okay? Anything else I should do?

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turn it back on; you should be fine.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't stress it too much. I've had power outages longer than that. Unless you have some huge clowns jammed into that 20.
OK. Thanks. They are a pair of orange storm clownfish. Are they too big? I had to move from my other tank because they started bullying my goby and killed my blenny, allegedly. Don't know if i should have went bigger.

Tarantula424

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Thanks. They are a pair of orange storm clownfish. Are they too big? I had to move from my other tank because they started bullying my goby and killed my blenny, allegedly. Don't know if i should have went bigger.
Nice, I can understand why you would be worried. I still think they'll be ok.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I leave the air stone on for a while or is the return pump and skimmer enough?
Based on what I know, you will be fine with the skimmer being enough. It won't hurt to leave the air stone on for a while. If it gives you peace of mind, then leave it on for a while.

I have historically had the power go down for a lot longer than 4 hours, and everything was fine. I now have a generator backup and battery backup - the battery backup bridges a couple of minutes between when the commercial power fails, and the generator warms up prior to the house switching over to the generator power.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back