My RBTA finds out that I know what's best

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a beautiful 5-6" RBTA shipped to me. I received it this morning. After acclimating for temperature, I turned off the pumps and powerhead and put it in a spot that I thought would be good, but know it will settle where it likes.

So of course it is shriveled up to really small (like George Costanza), and stays in that spot. As a side note my pair of Allard Clownfish were already trying to bury themselves into it from the get go.

I leave and come back in a couple of hours. It is in the same place but the foot is attached about 6" underneath the rock next to it. Over the next few hours it moved up and around that rock and back has settled to the exact same place I put it..... for now. :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a beautiful 5-6" RBTA shipped to me. I received it this morning. After acclimating for temperature, I turned off the pumps and powerhead and put it in a spot that I thought would be good, but know it will settle where it likes.

So of course it is shriveled up to really small (like George Costanza), and stays in that spot. As a side note my pair of Allard Clownfish were already trying to bury themselves into it from the get go.

I leave and come back in a couple of hours. It is in the same place but the foot is attached about 6" underneath the rock next to it. Over the next few hours it moved up and around that rock and back has settled to the exact same place I put it..... for now. :)
I generally don’t feed my nems but allow them to catch food on the drift. The exception is when I first add them to a spot, I feed them a tiny chunk of fish, or squid, or clam with the idea that it will reinforce the nem to consider the spot “good” for catching drift food.

I don’t know if this works to help them to not wander around but it makes me feel better when I do. I also try to ensure that the tank current does flow into the arms of the anemone so that it will get plenty of drift food and the benefits of constant fresh water.

The clownfish are also good to encourage the nem to stay where they want it, so hopefully they agree with the spot you’ve chosen. Nems always do better when they have a resident clean up crew, ime.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm not doing anything. He will find where he likes to be. Honestly I am really happy how he has responded to the tank so far.

I just got back in the hobby. In thee past I have had news that I have never fed, ones that I have given a small piece of silversides once a week, and ones that I squirted mysis shrimp at it with a turkey baster.

This is my last nem near the top of the tank directly under a 175W 6500k Ushio MH.

IMG_0275.JPG

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this file is too large.

Attachments

• IMG_8370.MOV
    17.3 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back