Anemone Moved Into Overflow

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Looking for some advice here, I have had this RBTA in my tank for just over a month. It moved around a bit when I put it in the tank, but within 48 hours it's been fairly consistently living in the back of the tank. Sometime between lights out and lights on this morning, it decided to move into the overflow of the tank. I'm looking for advice on how to get this thing out as it's pretty wedged in there. It slipped through the cracks in the overflow and just settled in the corner... My hope is that it'll move itself within a few days, but my concern is that it'll move further down the overflow to a point where I just cannot reach it.

Edit: I should add that it was open in there - I stuck my hand in to see if it was fully latched to try and sneak a finger underneath it and slip it out but it's pretty firmly stuck. This obviously irritated it and caused it to close up.

Thanks in advance!

why.jpg

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Looking for some advice here, I have had this RBTA in my tank for just over a month. It moved around a bit when I put it in the tank, but within 48 hours it's been fairly consistently living in the back of the tank. Sometime between lights out and lights on this morning, it decided to move into the overflow of the tank. I'm looking for advice on how to get this thing out as it's pretty wedged in there. It slipped through the cracks in the overflow and just settled in the corner... My hope is that it'll move itself within a few days, but my concern is that it'll move further down the overflow to a point where I just cannot reach it.

Edit: I should add that it was open in there - I stuck my hand in to see if it was fully latched to try and sneak a finger underneath it and slip it out but it's pretty firmly stuck. This obviously irritated it and caused it to close up.

Thanks in advance!

why.jpg
Get a Credit card and try to separate the foot from the glass. It's usually hardest to get a start but once you get the foot a bit separated it should be fairly easy to get it loose. Start gentle and use a bit more force if you don't get anywhere. Be ready to catch the loose nem with the other hand

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One extreme option (this has been done when fish get into overflows) is to fill the overflow with gravel to force the anemone up to a place where you can grab it. You can then vacuum out the gravel. It's messy and a total PITA.

The other option -- if you can -- is to cover up the overflow to prevent any light in. After a couple of days, hopefully the BTA has detached or has moved up higher so you can remove it.

SaltEverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did things turn out? Did you get it back into the tank and is it staying there?

Misery loves company. I'm following this threat because mine did the same thing. It had been seemingly happy in one location for over a week. Then one morning I found it squashed up against the overflow grid trying to ooze its way through. I turned off the pumps so that the overflow level dropped and its little tentacles were not underwater, and it blobbed itself back into the display tank. Then, two days ago, it successfully made its escape and I found it at the bottom of my overflow.
My tank is 3 feet deep so I cant reach it with my hand. The overflow is already pretty dark, so I'm hoping it moves up toward the light where I can grab it. This is my first anemone, other than aptasia, so I'm not sure what to expect. So far, it has been a pain in the neck.

SaltEverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to my BTA in the overflow: It did, in fact, get tired of being in the dark and not getting light or food. After about 3 days, it started oozing its way up the overflow toward the light. I was able to grab it and return it to the DT.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%

Back