OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw your other post on bacteria, it was a great thread, you should submit them to the articles section. Definitely following now!

Thanks! I have some interesting plans in store for this tank. Whether my hypotheses pan out or not you'll either see a great tank or a disaster.

Oh and r2r already asked me to make it an article. So I just have to clean it up a bit and insert some figures.

OP
OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to install a Klir or a Clarisea roller? Can you take pics of the final sump and plumbing? Trying to see get an idea from you when I get mine. Thanks!

Nah, not for me. My style is a little more ecological(want to keep things in most of the time) so no rollers or socks. I run the filter floss chamber but only with some carbon. To get detritus though I add socks, mix up the tank, then remove the socks after about 2 hours. ~once every two weeks.

So here is my setup, I wanted it on the right side of my cabinet. I'm running bean animal with the three drains. The emergency above water line to hear the splashing. Running a Coral box skimmer and return pump. I have a backup return that I keep ready to go. I went Coral box because the price was right. Basically I can appreciate a Porsche but also understand I just need to get from point A to point B.

Btw The ATO chamber is coming out of the stand and will be sitting outside to the right.
04968ECE-5C6F-4502-B561-90558532FC3C.jpeg

OP
OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy @DanamJohn and welcome.....
Nice system @flampton....
P.S.
an interesting site I haven't used...... yet

That is interesting but not liking their location for collection as it's northern gulf. (Reminds me of a gulf of Mexico biotope tank I saw in an old Tullock book, all red and orange sponges because no interesting cnidarians) Probably want to run their livestock a little cooler than down south more. So I'm a big fan of kp aquatics in the keys, check their livestock they can collect some wild stuff too

Last edited:
OP
OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this looks interesting! Any updates?

Well not really, as usual with dry rock I have a nice brown diatom tank with some cuc and a free toadstool coral. I did add two skunk clowns and a pink streaked wrasse. The pink streaked is fine but hides. The skunk clowns act very weird and also hide. I had a thread on the clowns and even Jay didn't have a clue why they are doing what they're doing. Lol.

So hopefully in a month or two when things settle in I'll have a decent update. I have a pound of live rock and reef water coming in from Phillip at KP aquatics in about a couple weeks. He has to go diving to get the water directly from the reef bottom, then seal it down there and ship overnight so that's why it's not shipping immediately. So I wait and think about why I had to have the fancy rock structure over a live rock start. Haha!

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well going to finally start a build thread. First background... I'm a research scientist who currently studies human pathogens, focusing on antibiotic resistance mechanisms. However I'm really considering moving into making bacterial products for the reefing community. Just gathering ideas right now on that. So if you have any bacterial questions feel free to ask.

I just moved from Gainesville, FL to Flagstaff, AZ (basically sea level to 7050ft above) and decided now is the perfect time to get back into reefing after a ten+ year break. Why is now the perfect time? Well my gf isn't moving here until December. So yeah I can get through all the intro mess without ruffling any feathers. Especially because I'm in a one bedroom apartment. One bedroom because we're trying to cut down on the extras and go more minimalist, and we love the view from the front porch.
B0B7A0E6-D915-4BF8-9790-280B669A5386.jpeg

Okay boring stuff over... Let's get this back on the road.

Tank is a 57 gallon Fiji Cube with the dimensions of 36 x 24 x 16. It's a beautiful tank, ten times better than my former 50 gallon breeder. I can't believe how much room two feet of width brings. Everything went fine with the shipping of the tank except they gave me the wrong doors for the cabinet :D which isn't really a big deal since it doesn't stop me from getting it wet. So here is the first tank pic...
F06AE254-5E1D-451F-BEBA-6BD45A4D882A.jpeg

Haha you can see how excited I was getting it together because I was throwing the doors up without even noticing the problem until I closed them for the first time. That was def an embarrassing moment and I was by myself! I should mention the seams on this tank are just top notch. You'll get more pics later on as things come together.

The sump is also Fiji Cube. It's the 24 inch model. I'll talk more about that guy next time but again it's excellent quality.

Okay so let's now shift to scape. I had a picture in my mind for weeks. I got together 40lbs of Marco, Marco cement and a bunch of tubes off super glue and went to town. Here is what I am going with. Please feel free to critique at will.
977DCE58-5238-4FA1-BF6B-20FA1A0AD7BE.jpeg

As it's a shallow you need the top down view as well.

F6FB5D80-FB50-4310-91C6-6ED67DDE7C03.jpeg

Okay let's leave that as the first post. Next time will talk equipment, reefing philosophy, and hopefully the first pictures of the tank wet.

Peace my friends and thank you for reading this far

Before I head off to bed, I thought I'd say I love the scape, it's very similar to mine.

OP
OP
flampton

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, nice build. any updates? Looking hard at buying this tank, hows your review now being a few months in?

Sorry for the late reply! I love the tank and the sump. I will hopefully getting pictures up of the setup soon. I added a 11 gallon Fiji cube that drains into the sump. So yes i like Fiji cube very much, especially since the pricing to product quality is awesome.

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Love your setup. I'm about to order my Fiji Cube 57 and sump. It's my first time plumbing a reef tank so just trying to get ideas. How does it look from the side with the plumbing exposed? I'm contemplating putting the tank in the corner of the room to hide the plumbing, but also don't want to take away from the awesome 2' of width and viewing angles. The wife said it has to be "aesthetically pleasing" since it will be going in her beautiful study. Personally I think the black/gray schedule 80 PVC components are very aesthetically pleasing haha! Curious to hear how your setup is doing these days. Did your tank turn a corner after adding the 1lb of live rock?

Back