After 4 Years I'm Getting Wet Again

maxthedog2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

After a move and some remodel I'm getting back into my hobby! Geez I've missed it! Here is the space and plan.

As you can see I was able to slip a built-in Cichlid tank in during the remodel but I'm glad to have my fish corner to next! The 125 acrylic will be a FOWLR and the 75 will be a Reef! Right now there is an end table and small tank just to look at but where those are will be a bench with 2, 20L tanks built in and plumbed as macro algae and special species ( mantis shrimp and scorpion fish) for either side.

Each tank will have the equipment and sumps under them. Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

My primary concern is the fact that I have this huge window right there... it will be covered (Arizona room style) in the future so the sun shouldn't be an issue

PXL_20240102_001439439~2.jpg PXL_20240102_001430579~2.jpg PXL_20240102_001417039~2.jpg PXL_20240102_001407751~2.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

After a move and some remodel I'm getting back into my hobby! Geez I've missed it! Here is the space and plan.

As you can see I was able to slip a built-in Cichlid tank in during the remodel but I'm glad to have my fish corner to next! The 125 acrylic will be a FOWLR and the 75 will be a Reef! Right now there is an end table and small tank just to look at but where those are will be a bench with 2, 20L tanks built in and plumbed as macro algae and special species ( mantis shrimp and scorpion fish) for either side.

Each tank will have the equipment and sumps under them. Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

My primary concern is the fact that I have this huge window right there... it will be covered (Arizona room style) in the future so the sun shouldn't be an issue

PXL_20240102_001439439~2.jpg PXL_20240102_001430579~2.jpg PXL_20240102_001417039~2.jpg PXL_20240102_001407751~2.jpg
Kudos to your vision & remodel. Did you do the carpentry? Wood floor and cabinets are looking good.

Looks like you have more than enough tanks to play Jacques Cousteau.

Why is the window a concern?

OP
OP
M

maxthedog2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to your vision & remodel. Did you do the carpentry? Wood floor and cabinets are looking good.

Looks like you have more than enough tanks to play Jacques Cousteau.

Why is the window a concern?
Hello,

Yeah, I have done all of the remodeling and buildout, it is one of my favorite parts of the hobby. I am excited to get the equipment in and the stands skinned with the bench in place.

I have a CRAZY idea to put sand in front of the bench between the stands for a full Jacques Cousteau sensory experience!

I only worry about the window as it is east-facing and catches full sun in the mornings. It has been a challenge during the summer with algae control for the other tank that has been in for about a year.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I only worry about the window as it is east-facing and catches full sun in the mornings. It has been a challenge during the summer with algae control for the other tank that has been in for about a year”

Tell me more about your previous Reefing experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

maxthedog2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I only worry about the window as it is east-facing and catches full sun in the mornings. It has been a challenge during the summer with algae control for the other tank that has been in for about a year”

Tell me more about your previous Reefing experience.
Hello,

I am relatively inexperienced with reefing. Before moving I had kept a 75g bowfront mixed reef for about 3 years with a ~300g FOWLR system (display was 220g with 75g & 30g sump) for 6 years. Otherwise, I have been keeping Freshwater of some kind since the early 90's (the tank that is running in the pictures is FW).

I learned early in reefing that it is a terrible idea to plumb a FOWLR and Reef into a common sump in an attempt to reduce the amount of equipment that is needed or to simplify maintenance and practice good husbandry. The FOWLR is not much more difficult than a FW tank and does not need anywhere near the equipment. However, like many hobbyists, I can be lazy with water changes hence the concern with algae. Most of the concern for algae is on the FOWLR tank, as one of the first automations I plan to incorporate for the reef tank is water changes. I hope that with the macro tank incorporated on each system, I can maximize waste export and have a different type of aquascape and ecosystem with fish to look at.

I was planning to dose rather than run a calcium reactor. I have a calcium reactor but I think it may not be necessary with a mixed reef if I set up a good dosing system and do my water changes. Any thoughts?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back