Flasher wrasses with white bellies

christinna77

Tilefish Mom
View Badges
Joined
Apr 18, 2025
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
1,462
Location
Vancouver
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have a silly question - I absolutely adore flasher wrasses that have mostly white undersides, but I often see them with predominantly yellow, purple or red bellies, even if it's the same species.

Example 1: Why does one have a white belly while another has a yellow one if both are diamonds? Is it related to gender, age, color variation?



Example 2: Both are McCosker's, but the first one has a rather orange/red belly.

1762410150496.png
1762410185162.png


I went to my LFS several times to look at flashers and I've not seen a single one with a white belly - their colors were rather washed out and completely different from what I've seen in videos/pictures. Which flasher wrasse in particular should I aim for? Thank you! :)
 
Hey all,
I have a silly question - I absolutely adore flasher wrasses that have mostly white undersides, but I often see them with predominantly yellow, purple or red bellies, even if it's the same species.

Example 1: Why does one have a white belly while another has a yellow one if both are diamonds? Is it related to gender, age, color variation?



Example 2: Both are McCosker's, but the first one has a rather orange/red belly.

1762410150496.png
1762410185162.png


I went to my LFS several times to look at flashers and I've not seen a single one with a white belly - their colors were rather washed out and completely different from what I've seen in videos/pictures. Which flasher wrasse in particular should I aim for? Thank you! :)

IME it’s often the angle of the photo if it’s a still image. Also the lighting can cause variation.

But in other occasions it generally is either just how the fish is feeling or age depending on the species.
 
IME it’s often the angle of the photo if it’s a still image. Also the lighting can cause variation.

But in other occasions it generally is either just how the fish is feeling or age depending on the species.

Interesting, thank you very much! So the particular species doesn't really matter? As I've seen white bellies on a Diamond, McCosker's, and Carpenter's.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new