Flat discs on rock

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I’ve been noticing an increasing number of these flat disc like things on my rock. I initially assumed it was part of the rock, but then saw them on the water weld I use to join the rocks, so seems to be something that’s growing, but they seem to hit about this size and then stop. Curious what they are.

They’re around 1/8” diameter.

IMG_0113.jpeg

IMG_0109.jpeg
IMG_0110.jpeg IMG_0110.jpeg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Limpet.
They spread quickly and can get stuck in your pumps, so most people remove them.

But they’re also help cleaning your tank, and can be a good snack for some corals and anemones.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Limpet.
They spread quickly and can get stuck in your pumps, so most people remove them.

But they’re also help cleaning your tank, and can be a good snack for some corals and anemones.
If they’re limpets will they move around?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they would.
If it isn’t moving - maybe try to get a closer picture of one to get a better idea what it is.
But from faraway it definitely resembles a Limpet.

Dutch_Mill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, definitely nerite eggs... Most will not hatch/survive, but you may see 1 or 2 make it... I've had more than a few snails reproduce over the years only ever seen 10 total baby snails from those spawns...

I've got hundreds of babies in my system but I run without mechanical filtration. I'ts a multi tank system with one shared sump. Babies are in all tanks despite of adults only being in one. Must be their planktonic phase allowing them to spread through the system.

dd1c94aa-eec0-402f-9748-e96d519b83f2.jpg

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got hundreds of babies in my system but I run without mechanical filtration. I'ts a multi tank system with one shared sump. Babies are in all tanks despite of adults only being in one. Must be their planktonic phase allowing them to spread through the system.

yeh, my guess is they're being caught by the filter socks in my system. That's pretty wild you have them all over... I've been considering doing a sockless system with nothing but a fuge and a small skimmer, maybe I'll start to see more if that happens.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you sure they are not collonistas?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back