Flatworm containment

  • Thread starter Thread starter Subsea
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Subsea

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 21, 2018
Messages
9,571
Reaction score
12,421
Location
Austin, Tx
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of a Red Planaria infestation, I disassembled 55G tank three months ago. Desirables were treated with flatworm exit before moving into a newly set up 30G. Now, 3 months later, I have Red Planaria that are resistant to flatworm exit. I will disassemble this tank and bleach with chlorine, but I want to transfer desirables to 25 year mature tank: two flame scallops, two deepwater NPS gorgonions along with a Caribbean hard coral & a photosynthetic Gorgonion.

My game plan is to dip for 10 minutes in a 10% solution of 3% peroxide then put into isolation tank for observation.

image.jpg image.jpg
 
Try Potassium Chloride for 5 minutes. Flatworms will perish while the others should not.
 
Gorgonions are Hardy. Let’s see how flame scallop responds.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 63
Try Potassium Chloride for 5 minutes. Flatworms will perish while the others should not.
Maybe next transfer. I only treated a few desirables with peroxide dip and I suspect the flame scallop may be a casualty. I already damaged copepod & amphipod populations in 30G. Now a few pods are recovering along with flat worm’s resistant to EXIT.

This 30G is my last tank with flatworms. I will remove all desirables from tank, then sanitize it with chlorine. I intend to set this tank up at a local high school for their aquatic science class.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 38

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new