Flatworms in my tank - ID and advice please

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these flatworms were on my euphyllia so I am assuming euphyllia eating flatworms?

I dipped my two torches and my two hammers. They came off in the dip- only my one torch and my one hammer had them. Found some eggs on the torch and removed those. I put them all back in the tank now. Is there anything I can do moving forward? Should I redip them in a week or something? An ID on the type of flatworm and advice please!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So these flatworms were on my euphyllia so I am assuming euphyllia eating flatworms?

I dipped my two torches and my two hammers. They came off in the dip- only my one torch and my one hammer had them. Found some eggs on the torch and removed those. I put them all back in the tank now. Is there anything I can do moving forward? Should I redip them in a week or something? An ID on the type of flatworm and advice please!

Hard to see from top down in container but most look like planaria
You should be able to siphon them with 1/4@ tube and discard
If many, wrasses such as lunare and yellow coris should eat them as well as springieri damsels

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see from top down in container but most look like planaria
You should be able to siphon them with 1/4@ tube and discard
If many, wrasses such as lunare and yellow coris should eat them as well as springieri damsels
Managed to get rid of all the ones I could see with the dip and also scrapping off the eggs. Will keep that in mind! How long does it take the corals to recover from flatworms? They are still half retracted after the dip last night

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Managed to get rid of all the ones I could see with the dip and also scrapping off the eggs. Will keep that in mind! How long does it take the corals to recover from flatworms? They are still half retracted after the dip last night
Generally, up to 72 hours

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry last question lol- i just dipped last night but if I notice another flatworm (because i may have just seen another) when is the next time I can dip? The dip is coral rx if that makes a difference. Like can I dip tomorrow even though I just dipped last night or should a wait a week?
Generally, up to 72 hours

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry last question lol- i just dipped last night but if I notice another flatworm (because i may have just seen another) when is the next time I can dip? The dip is coral rx if that makes a difference. Like can I dip tomorrow even though I just dipped last night or should a wait a week?
Spread it at least 3-4 days apart as it stresses coral

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I am fully stocked! I will keep this in mind for the future though
That is unfortunate as those fish would take care of the planaria and other pests without your intervention, or bothering the corals with dips every few days.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unfortunately I am fully stocked! I will keep this in mind for the future though
A springieri is a little over an inch and would/should not cause an issue with added oxygen or space requirements

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask what the flatworm eggs looked like?

Aquanino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These maybe EEFW can’t tell 100% from the pic. I have seen EEFW come in on our Indonesia shipments often . We have only found them on Euphyllia. These are really difficult to get rid off, you can search on the internet and see if you the same. I remember Jake Adams also did a video on them sometime back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back