Flatworms...

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 40 is going through the cycle currently and I have 4 hitchhikers from the live rock. Feather dusters, a oyster looking thing, copapods, and flatworms. I got lucky to notice the flatworm, but I want them out before this tank is ready to stock. What would this awesome community suggest that would eradicate the flat worms but not harm my other hitchhikers?

OP
OP
Richard the Reefer

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what kind of flatworm it is? Pics would be awesome too :)
It escaped to the sand before I could grab my phone. It had a dual tail. Like in this picture

images.jpeg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wrasses and other fish will eat flatworms, I've also seen my hermit crabs eat them. There is Flatworm Exit but I don't think one confirmed flatworm warrants using that and potentially creating other problems in your young tank. If you see it again, just reach in and grab it or use a turkey baster to suck it up.

OP
OP
Richard the Reefer

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wrasses and other fish will eat flatworms, I've also seen my hermit crabs eat them. There is Flatworm Exit but I don't think one confirmed flatworm warrants using that and potentially creating other problems in your young tank. If you see it again, just reach in and grab it or use a turkey baster to suck it up.
Yeah I know I likely dont have any infestation but like I said I'd like to rid of them before the end of the cycle...

KIRBLIT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Flatworm exit now so you don't have to worry about them later. Just follow the directions and still do the water change after the treatments even if you don't have livestock.

OP
OP
Richard the Reefer

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Flatworm exit now so you don't have to worry about them later. Just follow the directions and still do the water change after the treatments even if you don't have livestock.
Will that effect the cycle? I feel it will but if I time it right I can do this at the time where I would normally do the first water change before the stocking! Thanks for the heads up!

KIRBLIT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will that effect the cycle? I feel it will but if I time it right I can do this at the time where I would normally do the first water change before the stocking! Thanks for the heads up!
I honestly doubt it. Flatworm do release a toxin when they die but it doesn't sound like you have many in there so I don't forsee a problem. I don't believe that toxin would be of much concern in interrupting the bacteria cycling the tank anyway. Eventually you will have to deal with the problem one way or another. It's better to get it done now when you don't have any livestock present.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back