Fleece roller question

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, been wanting a fleece roller for a while now and been considering it even more lately, however, I have a question regarding the flow rate. Correct me if I'm wrong but you would plumb the return drains into the fleece roller right? That being said, what happens if there's too much water going into the roller? Do I have to re route some of the water so there's less flow running through the unit? Which filter roller would work best on an aquarium that's between 300-400 gallons?

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not positive but most fleece rollers probably have an overflow emergency outlet.

My retirement tank build is in that size range so I opted for the Dreambox eco fleece, but it's not cheap. The other option was their compact eco fleece but that is rated for a max of 1200 gal/hr or thereabouts so there was no room for any increase past my target flow through.

Another option would be two Clarisea 5000 but the cost would almost be equivalent to the compact eco fleece (which is a drop in sump box so any overflow would just exit into the sump). Believe the Clariseas have an overflow mechanism to handle flow should the fleece become clogged.

65Naja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I designed my own fleece roller based on the Clarisea 5000 fleece.

I incorporated an opening in the front and on both sides where the water will continue to flow even if the fleece prevents water penetration due to being clogged. I also have the Primary and Secondary return lines coming into the roller and the emergency outside the roller, this being base on the bean animal overflow.

The CAD design here shows the fleece overlapping but this is shown with a full roll of fleece on both sides allowing me to consider the complete envelope the fleece may occupy to check for interference.

The design incorporates a sensor. When the fleece within the center chamber becomes clogged the water level rises. Once the water level reaches the sensor the advance motor rotates the take up reel thus pulling more new fleece into the chamber. Water passes through fresh fleece water level drops and advance roller stops.

I did incorporate an 8 second continuation of the roller once the sensor no longer detected high water levels to keep the roller from advancing so often.

13.JPG
16.JPG

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a Bean Animal overflow going into a Trigger Platinum sump, the emergency drain is plumbed into the skimmer compartment, not the roller compartment. Not sure if their largest sump is enough for 300g.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back