Flex Seal or similar for repair?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sstadler
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sstadler

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2019
Messages
118
Reaction score
17
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I became the owner of a 75 gallon tank that was free but the bottom of the tank has a crack with a leak. So a thought had crossed my mind for tanks that have some damage. It looks didn’t matter, like maybe I was using tank for sump, could I flex seal the entire bottom of the tank? Would it still work? Or what if it was a DT and I flex sealed the bottom? I mean, no one really sees the bottom of the DT anyways, right? I can’t be the only one who’s thought this so why am I wrong?
 
I personally wouldn't risk it, even if you get it to hold water the bottom panel is still cracked and not structurally sound. That's a lot of water and a lot of pressure pushing down on an already cracked pane of glass
 
It depends, if the tank is made out of acrylic then yes you can seal it, but i would use another acrylic sheet on the top and bottom and seal it together. Don't get me wrong, flex seal is a great product but over time that adhesive comes off underwater.
If it is glass, just know it will be a risk short / long term.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new