Flipper vs Tunze Care Strong

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So for those of you that have used both the flipper and the tunze care cleaners which do you prefer and why? I currently have a flipper but i am thinking of trying the Tunze strong. Any pros and cons for each would be appreciated!!

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own 9 Tunze care Magnets. That’s how much I like them.

I trust them to not scratch my low iron glass, even when cleaning below sand bed.

I leave them in the tank and they look clean.

I’ve had one of them for 7 years, no issue.

I replace the plastic scraper part every couple years or so. Never need the optional metal blade.

I actually have 2 for one of my in wall tanks. One on each glass pane so I don’t have to move from one pane to the other.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll do you one better, had a tunze on my last tank. I bought a algae free hammerhead when I got this tank. 6 months later after tip toeing around trying not to scratch anything I went back to tunze and got the strong.

I can’t see the advantage of the Velcro side that collects every manner of debris. One and only downside is that I can’t move from pane to pane but the 2 seconds to move it by hand is worth years of not worrying something is about to scratch.

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have any of you used the metal blade that comes with the tunze? Do the plastic blades do a good enough job cleaning the glass? I'm leaning towards the tunze mainly because of the blades on each side. It looks like that would make the cleaning alot quicker.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you used the metal blade that comes with the tunze? Do the plastic blades do a good enough job cleaning the glass? I'm leaning towards the tunze mainly because of the blades on each side. It looks like that would make the cleaning alot quicker.
Yeah, I initially used the metal blade when I got it to easily get the really caked on algae.

That was years ago, haven’t needed it since because I leave them in the tank and scrub the glass weekly. Never gets to a point that I need the metal.

Another cool thing about the Tunze is you can get it right up flush against the silicone seams without jacking them up.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was happy with the flipper for years. It had troubles with some really stubborn stuff so thought I'd try the Strong+. Strong+ is so much ... well stronger. I suspect the regular Strong would be similar to the flipper. This is on 1/2" glass. I do use the metal blade.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I find the plastic blades go blunt fairly fast, I then pull out the metal blade and it removes the algae effortlessly.
The magnet is not that strong, so worth getting the float to go with it, but I would recommend.
Never tried the flipper but have used the Mag-float which I guess is similar to the scrubbing side of the flipper, which I found useless, so my vote goes to the Tunze.

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have both and the flipper is better. metal blade is better at scraping. it is more ergonomic and easier to use since the handle is larger. and you don't have to buy an attachment to make it float like the tunze. the white felt sticker on my tunze is constantly moving and coming apart as well. both are rated for .75" glass

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I initially used the metal blade when I got it to easily get the really caked on algae.

That was years ago, haven’t needed it since because I leave them in the tank and scrub the glass weekly. Never gets to a point that I need the metal.

Another cool thing about the Tunze is you can get it right up flush against the silicone seams without jacking them up.
How often do you have to replace the plastic blades? I clean my glass every 3-5 days so I never really get any serious coraline buildup, mostly small little dots.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a flipper for several years now, after having tried pretty much every magnetic scraper on the market over the previous 25 years. I like it's low profile in the tank (it leaves the tank maybe every 6 months for a rinse), and the fact that it easily gets to anywhere I need it to to keep the glass spot free.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you have to replace the plastic blades? I clean my glass every 3-5 days so I never really get any serious coraline buildup, mostly small little dots.
Every couple years. Not because I have to but because it doesn’t scrape film off with one pass anymore.

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've read that some people "sharpen" the plastic blades occasionally. Is this something that has to be done on a regular basis?

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I hated the flipper. Gave it to a friend and replaced with tunze. Flipper scratched the glass a few times.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find the Flipper doesn’t get the tough algae spots. Have to use a different scraper with razor blade attached.

Wondering if the Tunze strong would work on those tough algae spots?

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both. For me the Tunze is better: body is farther off the glass so less chance of debris getting stuck and scratching, curved edges so you can work around the silicone, can get right down to the sand without fear of scratches

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze is amazing. Just make sure you get a newer one that has the black sealant on the backside of the wet side. Earlier ones can swell and crack.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back