Flipper vs Tunze Care Strong

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze is good if I use it often enough. Does not have enough strength for my 300 gallon if I wait to long. useless. Made replacement blades out of scrap acrylic which last longer. I do sharpen them occasionally. I found the flip useless for even my thinner acrylic 240.

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Tunze is good if I use it often enough. Does not have enough strength for my 300 gallon if I wait to long. useless. Made replacement blades out of scrap acrylic which last longer. I do sharpen them occasionally. I found the flip useless for even my thinner acrylic 240.
Any pics of the blades you make? What thickness acrylic do you use?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics of the blades you make? What thickness acrylic do you use?
I am guessing they are 3/16-1/8" thick. I wanted square corners for my acrylic tank. I will make future ones the same width as the original to put more pressure on the contact edge. I only made them longer as that was the width of the material and I was lazy. I get 4 edges on each one. It is basically just a rectangular piece with a notch in the center edge on both sides. I used the original as a template.
20210418_111114.jpg

I also made a sanding pad attachment for scratch removal. You may not be able to tell form the pic, but the sanding pad is easily changeable to a corser or a finner pad.
1618771417134.png

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i ended up ordering the Tunze Care Strong over the Flipper for two reasons. First of all, i don't like the new design of the flipper with the two small felt pads that replaced the small little plastic nubs on the old flipper wet side. I feel like that adds a risk of sand grains getting stuck between the pads and the glass. Secondly, I couldn't find any of the Flipper Max Floats in stock anywhere. LOL I would have waited for them to come back in stock as i was actually leaning towards the flipper if it wasn't for those felt pads. Any thoughts on the new design from anyone using the new flipper?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for those of you that have used both the flipper and the tunze care cleaners which do you prefer and why? I currently have a flipper but i am thinking of trying the Tunze strong. Any pros and cons for each would be appreciated!!

Never used Tunzee, but I love my Flipper Max.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze works better than the flipper and it doesn't pick up any sand or other debris which can scratch the glass or acrylic. I use the metal blade and have never had an issue on my low iron glass. Have 1/2" glass and no issues going from one pane to the other. It'll transfer just fine. Only problem is when the wet side detaches and sinks.

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I ended up getting the tunze. I have used it twice and so far so good. I really like the double blades and I am Finding that it takes less time to clean the glass than with the flipper. I ended up swapping out the small blade for the big one because I clean my glass before any coraline takes hold so I won't need the increased scrubbing power of the smaller blade. I also had no problem transitioning between panels of the tank as the float has solved the problem of the inner scraper falling off when moving from side to side.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the float comes pre installed now!
That has to be a big improvement. One plus on it not floating is, I discovered I had some magnetic bits in an area of my sand bed. Everytime it fell off in that area it would pick up bits. I then siphoned the sand out there and replaced it with fresh sand.

Back