Float switches/toggle switch for breakout box

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried it but would probably work and you'd have 4 switch wire pairs per cable. I've used bell wire and that works fine. Easy enough to test. :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, cat5 cable works just fine to extend switch wire length.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, cat5 cable works just fine to extend switch wire length.
I know this is old post but how do you use cat5 do you just isolate 2 wires and those are the two that plug into the break out box and are tied to the switch?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old post but how do you use cat5 do you just isolate 2 wires and those are the two that plug into the break out box and are tied to the switch?
Yup I've gone with the color code per breakout box slot. So orange & orange stripe for one switch, blue & blue stripe for another, etc... Or you can buy multicore wire like this. I have some 4 core and 8 core for wiring emergency stops, feed buttons, turn off my skimmer and anything else you can think of.
Screenshot_20220228-113529.png

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup I've gone with the color code per breakout box slot. So orange & orange stripe for one switch, blue & blue stripe for another, etc... Or you can buy multicore wire like this. I have some 4 core and 8 core for wiring emergency stops, feed buttons, turn off my skimmer and anything else you can think of.
Screenshot_20220228-113529.png
Thank you so much! This is new to me and I’m just trying to make sure I don’t mess anything up lol sorry if this sounds stupid but does it matter which one goes to the ground? I’m assuming black and black if that’s the ground?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! This is new to me and I’m just trying to make sure I don’t mess anything up lol sorry if this sounds stupid but does it matter which one goes to the ground? I’m assuming black and black if that’s the ground?
Nah it doesn't matter about ground. So if you wire a button and use green and black wires at the button, you have to use green & black on the same break out box on port 1. For instance as you see on the picture. Ports 1-6 represent hookups for each individual item (float switch, push button, toggle switch, etc) you would put the green and black wire in the red/black connectors above port one. Black/red color hook up on the bob won't matter, those wires just need to be on port 1.

This isn't the Neptune box, but I prefer this style of connector.

break-out-box-neptune_23cbc900-994d-4f18-a054-fe3c5e1a45da_grande.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't matter which wire goes to ground.

On the apex BOB you have only 1 ground, and then 6 switches, unlike the above box where each switch has it's own ground. So you have to gang your grounds together before plugging them into the BOB.

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some engineering notes - you can use it if current is less than 500ma. You should check the wire gauge to be sure.

Ethernet is typically 23 or 28 AWG from most manufacturers. However, you also have versions like slim ethernet (30 AWG) and flat ethernet (32 AWG).

1646086318576.png

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back