Floater

madtownguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I seem to have a mentally challenged fish, who some how has affected his buddy in the tank. I have 2 clown fish in a fairly new build, one ocesalris one percula. The percula has always liked to sleep basically floating like a dead fish at the top of the tank. When I first got him I thought I put him in too early, but he has done it for a couple weeks now that is just his thing. Lights kick on and he's back to swimming around. Well I put his buddy in and the first night or two he slept on the sand but now he is sleeping with the other guy almost floating at the top of the tank. Has anyone else had a clown act like this?

FYI all levels in tank are great.

OP
OP
madtownguy

madtownguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns tend to do this. This just means they need an anemone, then they will float around the tentacles the same way!
Aren't they picky, I was once told you want them paired of to anemone at the store and bring them home like that. I've had anemone and clown in same tank before and they did not pair up.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not particularly picky and definitely not true about pairing them at the store. Typically when you pair a clown with one of their natural hosts they tend to take right to them. When you attempt to pair them with a common aquarium host but not necessarily natural in the wild it can be hit or miss. BTA's come to mind as many have taken to hosting them in home aquariums but aren't a natural host to the most commonly kept clowns. Clowns aren't always particuliarly picky though, they'll host a power head, the corner of the tank, the overflow, a zoa colony, a torch, a mag float....etc. I've yet to see a clown turn up it's nose to a natural host though but there are always exceptions to the rule.

I had a black ice/snowflake pair who ignored a BTA for 7 months and were in a H. Mag the second day it was in the tank. They used to host the mag float before the H Mag showed up.

OP
OP
madtownguy

madtownguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not particularly picky and definitely not true about pairing them at the store. Typically when you pair a clown with one of their natural hosts they tend to take right to them. When you attempt to pair them with a common aquarium host but not necessarily natural in the wild it can be hit or miss. BTA's come to mind as many have taken to hosting them in home aquariums but aren't a natural host to the most commonly kept clowns. Clowns aren't always particuliarly picky though, they'll host a power head, the corner of the tank, the overflow, a zoa colony, a torch, a mag float....etc. I've yet to see a clown turn up it's nose to a natural host though but there are always exceptions to the rule.

I had a black ice/snowflake pair who ignored a BTA for 7 months and were in a H. Mag the second day it was in the tank. They used to host the mag float before the H Mag showed up.
Hmm maybe I will risk an anemone and see if one of these guys take to it. Gotta say I love your profile pic, "Silence! I kill you!"

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%

Back